Attempting to make a new flower bed!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Richard Whitney, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Richard Whitney

Richard Whitney Apprentice Gardener

Lawn care technician
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Just joined the site as a complete novice gardener despite running my own lawncare company.
    I've promised my wife a decent looking garden so am attempting to make new borders in my completely lawned garden.
    I'm based in Cambs and unfortunately have completely thick, solid clay underneath approx. 10cms of soil. So I've started to dig out a trench which is about 50-70 cms deep as a staring point to make some beds that I'll be able to put some plants in.
    Firstly am I doing the right thing in digging out and secondly what should I fill the new beds in with? I'm fortunate to have a free supply in the village of lots of manure so am thinking fill it 2/3rds with manure on top of the clay and then the final top layer filled with top soil. Would really appreciate anyones thoughts. Thanks in advance, Richard

2. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forum.

Digging out that much will be hard work. Whenever I have done new borders out of lawn I cut the shape with an edging tool then cut into strips with the same tool. I then put a shovel underneath and skim off the turf about 3-4 inches deep. After I have cleared the area I roughly dig over and then add a layer of organic material, the manure is ideal. I then dig in top with a mulch of manure and plant into it. If tryout on solid clay it may pay to dig in loads of manure maybe ever gravel and some sharp sand. What are the dimensions of border? Do you have photos?

Rusty

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hello Richard.....the right thing for sure....dig over and get as much manure in as possible. I would trench it in at least 60 cm deep. Then dig over again imcorporating more manure throughout the top soil.
    Take your time ....its all so worthwhile :)