Attracting rodents

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by girliecook, May 7, 2009.

1. girliecook

girliecook Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone! Can a compost bin attract rats as a neighbour saw a rat in the garden. Ive never seen it but ive seen mice but we've had mice for years as my garden backs onto fields, I dont mind little mice but not rats. My compost bin is right at the bottom of the garden, well outside the bck gate actually and I fill it with green and brown.
    :help:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Yes they do, I regularly get rats in mine, they like the warmth in there and build their nests. They also will be attracted to the bin if there is any kitchen waste in there (veg peelings or any meat/bones). The advice is to put chicken wire underneath to stop them burrowing in and don't put any kitchen waste in (teabags etc are OK)

3. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    I never put anything in that's been cooked and especially not meat or fish.

4. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No kitchen waste at all? Thats very wasteful. I thought the vermin advice was just no cooked food, not any waste at all.

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We put almost all kitchen waste including, odd bits of bread, fruit skins, cooked veg and the occasional very small bit of meat or fish in our two bins (they sit on bare earth) and have been doing so for about 6 years and have had no probs at all with vermin. On the other hand our large compost heaps which are only used for garden waste occasionally are homes to mice.
    If you are worried about vermin getting into a plastic bin that is sat on bare earth you can either put some small slabs under it with gaps to allow drainage or as suggested above sit it on wire mesh.

Throwing away all kitchen waste to be put into landfill as NewbieGreen says does seem very wasteful and not very eco-friendly.
    A well maintained and fed compost bin should be quite damp and I doubt if a rat would regard a damp home as a very 'des-rez':D

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Put mesh under and fold it up over the edges of the bin and then you can put vegetable waste in.

Rats will happily colonise bins vegetable waste or not.

7. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't seem to get rats in my allotment bins, despite breaking the rules a bit sometimes. I think this may be the upside to all the foxes, which are otherwise a right pain.

8. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I recently shot a rat, it's now in the bin (adding blood and bone to the compost).