Aubergines

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Snowbaby, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hello! Long time huh! I haven't been posting much lately as my veggies seem to have died a death :( My green bean plants have been nibbled to nothing altho I noticed some are flowering a bit again! My tomato plant has deliciously ripe tomatoes appearing now!

My aubergine plants (I have 3).... are flowering!!! Such beautiful purple flowers... I'm parying for it to sprout! Do I just let nature take its course? I have been feeding it once a week so hopefully it grows!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey SB,

Was just about to start a thread to see if you were snowed in yet.

My beans are only just hanging on now, they don't like the shortening days.

Remind me, are your Aubergines in pots, if so you need to get them onto a sunny window sill before the frost comes. Keep on parying for it to set fruit.:gnthb:

Good about the tomatoes, you probably read that i'm loosing mine to the blight.:cry:

I saw yesterday that its just taking out my august sown potato plants too, bang goes the new potatoes for xmas dinner.

All is not lost though, the blight has not reached the west bay plot & divided the seed spuds between the 2 plots, so keep em crossed.

3. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    My aubergines are 3 plants in a bricked veggie patch outdoors, but in the sunlight. It's still (unusally) quite warm here just now. So hopefully the frost keeps away for a bit yet!

I did see about your toms, I must google blight as I wonder if that is what is happening to some of mine...

4. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    Nope mine don't have blight. Some of the toms look like they split open slightly then get mouldy. Not many of them though, only 2 so far. Hopefully no more. I'm checking the plant daily and harvesting them as soon as they are red enough.

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Snowbaby.
    If your aubergine plants are just flowering now then I hate to be so pessimistic, but I think there is no chance of fruit.
    Aubergines like it hot, and won't set fruit unless the temperature overnight is consistently over 15 degrees.
    In Scotland (and elsewhere) I think that is unlikely.
    I struggled with them for years and eventually got 2 big aubergines from a plant growing in the conservatory.
    Not worth the work or space.
    I won't be growing them again - but the purple flowers are nice.

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I have to agree with Alice, I've had exactly the same poor experience with Aubergines. Is there is any chance of getting them into a pot maybe you could move at least one of them indoors?

7. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    To take them indoors, I would have to re-pot one.... would it survive repotting? My house is warm and the sun comes in the back window most of the day so it would be happy there!

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Try to take it out with as much soil as possible,maybe give it a good watering a bit beforehand. Hopefully it wont notice its been moved then, till it feels the warmth of the house.

9. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    Will need to find a pot, but I think I'll try that. The courgettes are dying off now cos something (slug I think due to the slime!) keeps eating the flowers off the courgettes before the grow too big. Grrr!

Thanks Ziggy :)

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My Corgettes have had enough now too, one is hanging on & growing a marrow thats turning yellow.

We now have to turn our thoughts to window sill gardening, seed sprouts & my other thought.

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I've never tried it with Aubergines but I can't see why not. After all it's certain they will start to die off now the cold weather is upon us, you have nothing to lose by trying to save at least one, I'm sure it will love being brought indoors - it will repay you with more flowers if nothing else. Let us know how you get on. :thumb:

13. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    thanks, will definately try it. There's 3 plants which are very close together indeed, 1 of which are flowering, the 3rd is much smaller.

14. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Go for it Snowbaby :yho: You've got nothing to loose other than an eggplant.:flag::D:old:

15. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Ive just logged in to find out about over wintering aubergines!