Auto focus lights on EOS 1000

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by pip, Jan 24, 2011.

1. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After noticing a couple of dust spots on the mirror on my BRAND NEW camera I set about wiping the area. I have now ended up with what looks like a smudge and very faint auto focus indicators, on the focus cross that is. The lense still focuses ok but have I caused irrepairable damage? If not how do I get rid of the 'smudge' and restore the indicators? My wife will kill me if I tell her.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Oh dear me.
    You should never clean a mirror in a DSLR Pip the coating is very, very thin. If you absolutely have to remove dust from a DSLR mirror a blower is the thing to try.
    I fear you may have damaged the coating on the mirror, though it could be that you've just been left with a residual smudge.
    My advice is to leave it alone and contact Canon UK Service and explain your predicament and see what they say.
    I'm sorry that I can't offer you a simple solution.

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I would clean it happily usig sensor swabs and "Eclipse" cleaning fluid, I would not use anything else. You dont mention what you used to wipe the mirror with? Its likely to be grease on the mirror, but use the correct thing to clean it with and asking Canonn what they recommend is definately the way forward.

Another thing you can do is find a local camera club, get another 'tog to have a look at it for you...they might just clean it for you (if you lived close to me, I'd do it for you) and offer some advice for future internal inspection.

Steve...:)

4. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks folks :)

I think I am lucky not damaging the mirror, thats what I assume as there are no marks other than the smudge. I cleaned it with a lens cloth using fingertip pressure and my finger ran onto the mirror, tried again but smudge is still there.

Having said all that, in both your opinions, will the lights 're-appear' after proper cleaning?

Thanks for the offer Steve.

Have looked on Jessops website and seen a cleaning kit which I will certainly be buying.

Will take advice from you both and speak to Cannon.[hr]
    Could be worse than initally thought :(

When I said mirror I meant the non movable plate at the bottom of the lense. Hope that isn't disastrous.

5. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Yup, it grease if your finger touched it. DO check that the Jessops cleaning kit is compatible with your sensor and camera, soma older types of liquid cleaners will actually damage the more modern sensors and mirrors..so be careful what you buy. I still advise using Ecipse fluid you can get that and sensor swabs at warehouse express, but again check which eclipse fluid you buy as there is one older fluid and one more modern, you'll need the latest more modern version, also you can buy "pec-pads" these are dry wipes and when used with eclipse fluid are great for cleaning lens's.

6. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hello again Steve

Does your advice go for the little set plate that I mentioned? Hope it does and I haven't done any lasting damage.

Just checked out 'Eclipse fluid' looks great, thanks :)

7. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    If by set plate you mean you mean that its directly behind the lens, when the lens is on the camera...then thats the sensor.

Your obviously getting a little stressed by now (and no one would blame you for that), do you know anyone who lives close to you...who has a DSLR...who can take a look at it for you, or is there a late opening camera shop perhaps in your area. You could really use a second opinion right now from someone who can actually see whats been done, and knows what they are talking about. It might all be nothing more than a little smadge, so dont panic just yet.

You could also ry searching online for your local camera club...if your lucky and find details of that club, phone them up and explain your predicament...you'll find they will bend over backwards to help you, if they dont..call the next member.

8. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :WINK1: All I can say is follow Steve's advice... I ruined a camera by using my glasses lens cloth & it actually scratched it......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DOH::rolleyespink::cry3:

9. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Sorry if my description is a bit vague but the plate I mean is right behind the camera lens connection points and is flat and doesn't move. Definately not sensor as that is hidden and I daren't go anywhere near that. I think the plate reflects the A/F cross and the lights onto mirror and into viewfinder.

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    If the 'plate' you are talking about Pip is as shown in this photo of my Canon it's the mirror.

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

11. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    What an idiot I am, sorry for taking up all your time but the plate sits directly ABOVE the miror and is fixed.

After searching many websites I finally came across this one http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/dslr-focus-screen-and-sensor-cleaning/

Gonna buy cleaning gear and summon up the courage to have a go.

Quick question for Steve, can I buy Eclipse fluid on the high street?

Thanks to you all for your help :)

12. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi all :)

A quick update, I spoke to canon helpline earlier last year and told them what the problem was, the advisor seemed sure it was grease from the fingertip that was causing the problem and as it was deemed 'customer manhandling' the warranty was void and it would cost me £90 to have it taken in, repaired and sent back. As I didn't have that kind of money I chose to use the camera as it was and luckily it worked fine with the available points.

Late last year I decided that I wanted all my focus points back and started to ask questions on the internet, I found a tutorial on replacing the focus screen as well as a supplier who could send me a Canon brand focus screen for £16.99 inc p/p. With focus screen delivered yesterday I took the plunge this evening and replaced the mirror, took 10 mins and a steady hand and I now have a fully operational camera. This does seem like a daft thing to do with an expensive peice of kit but I was confident in my ability after researching the net and am glad I did it.

Thanks to all who gave their advice when this post was first displayed

LESSON LEARNED:

DO NOT STICK FINGERS INSIDE CAMERA, EVER.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,035
      That's just great Pip - well done.

And yes - "DO NOT STICK FINGERS INSIDE CAMERA, EVER" :WINK1: