1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Automated Sprinkler System

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Sirius, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Oh, Ricky! Now you've started me off. You are absolutely right about DIY. I've now sat in the garden contemplating building my own. Why not? After spending all my life in the electronics field and have been designing control systems for the most part of my life, I'd opted out from the stress of work.

Thinking about it, would get me back in to the way of thinking and would be a good escape! I feel a project coming on!!!
    Loving the idea of 12V solenoid outside with electronics mounted inside. Haven't researched how to mount solenoid and valve to tap yet but have many ideas regarding electronics to control.

Cheers so much. It's the kick up the bum that I needed.
    Separate thread, trip to Maplins and a blog coming on hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,616
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      You could probably make it up from a ready made timer and a 12v solenoid, but like I'm doing at the moment using an Arduino for heating control and just adding a watering system / soil moisture sensor / timer.
      You can get 12v sols with 1/2 or 3/4" threads on ebay for a few pounds uk or china stock.

Might be simple stuff compared to commercial projects , but micro systems like the Arduino etc as so cheap and there are masses of lo cost new modules to have fun with.... keeps the grey matter ticking ..

A clone board of the Arduino Uno is just £5 on ebay etc ( genuine full price at Maplins) and you are off ....:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
      • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
        Ratings:
        +1,217
        Excellent, Ricky! Don't use eBay but might be tempted. Many thanks mate. Ideas now flowing.

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,616
        I order items from ebay that are shipped direct from china. Long wiat to get it but good quality without the middle man :)

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,225
        DIY electronics definately not my thing. :doh:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Many uk based ebay sellers are offering modules like Adruino Unos, moisture sensors , wifi modules etc at similar prices to the China sellers.
        You can pick an Uno from maplins today, but £19.99, though do not blame me if you get hooked !:biggrin:

Was always wary of Ebay myself, but to just buy, you only need register a credit card with paypal, no need to give them access to your actual bank account.

If you are just wanting to water the garden rather than pot plants in a greenhouse then the timers and sprinkler mentioed by Clueless look the best option, easy enough to fit and test well before you go away.
        Those micro irrigation systems, a pain to set up and use and really only for small pot plant imho.

• Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
        Ratings:
        +1,217
        Have most of the borders and pots covered with sprinklers, drippers and various different jets covering nearly everything that needs watering. Even have trays with soak system in cold frames and greenhouse. Designing away now for a timer system that will be completely customisable on a day to day basis. Will be on sale for end of 2017. Ha ha. I wish!