Automatic Irrigation Systems

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by jazzythumper, May 15, 2010.

1. jazzythumper

jazzythumper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I'm on a really tight budget here for an irragation system, I am away in France at the end of June, and need to set up a watering system to water what by then will be 24 runner beans, 6 tomatoes, 3 chilli peppers, 3 peppers, carrots, lettuce and radishes by then

I see you can get an electronic timer for about £10, I have an outside tap so was planning to use that but have seen this kit on ebay quite cheaply

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IRRIGATION-SY...denEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item19ba4bba91

and was wondering if it would do the job, perhaps a couple of them even?

Any help would be great

Jazzy

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    The key question is "are you on a water meter?"
    This system looks as if it will work OK and seems cheap enough.

We aren't on a water meter and I had a "leaky hose" system for several years, which worked fine, until the foxes started digging up and chewing the hoses. but even at a "trickle" it used a lot of water. Some sort of timer I suggest is essential if your water is metered.

3. jazzythumper

Ratings:
    +0
    The water isn't on a meter that's not an issue.

Are there any kits out there that would be better for about £20-30? Is it a problem that the pipes are tiny? I guess it just means that the water will have to stay on for longer?

4. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
  5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Principally because I'm just dead lazy but also because I think that using garden sprays is extravagant, water-wise, I'm rigging up my own watering system for my veggie patch at the bottom of the garden.

It consists of standard hose (red) from the outside tap down to the vegs. Then I shall put in T connectors and run soaker hose (blue) between the rows. I have two areas and there will be five spurs in side by the shed and 7 in the near one. The standard hose will run along the little wall, over the pile of slabs (which are too heavy for me to move!), behind the tree, around the step (hence
    need for the elbow connectors!) and along the little footpath.

[​IMG]

Idea is, when I want to water the garden, I just turn on the stopcock under my sink for the outside tap and go watch TV for 20 mins! Beats getting wet feet with a hose and I know most of the water I spray over the area doesn't go where it's needed.

Only thought is - will there be enough 'oomph' in the water flow to get to the end spurs?!! Only time and practice will tell.

So so far I've bought
    2 lengths of standard hose
    2 lengths of soaker hose
    3 elbow connectors
    12 T
    connectors
    12 end stops

Haven't kept a tally of what it's all cost as I've been planning this for about 2 years only a knee replacement got in the way. I bought about half of it before the op and the rest more recently - mostly on Ebay! Good ol' Ebay!

6. jazzythumper

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but I think i'm going to have to buy some massive bottles for the beans to last 2 weeks!!!!

7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    These days I just put a sprinkler on the end of the hose, and soak half the garden while I go and have a cup of tea, then do the other half and then the front. If we're away "next door" does it. We do their's when they're away.

8. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I have this morning purchased 2 micro irrigation systems which are suitable for pots from Aldi and they are£4-99 each and its got all the connectors t pieces etc and 23metre of hose

9. jazzythumper

Ratings:
    +0
    Imay just have to pop into Aldi later today!

10. jazzythumper

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for this very informative answet, when mine is all set up for the patio I will draw a similar diagram to show what's happening!!!!!