Automatic louvre openers for Rhino greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by WobblyGoblin, Jun 22, 2018.

1. WobblyGoblin

WobblyGoblin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    At the beginning of summer we completed our garden makeover which included some raised beds for growing and a new greenhouse.

It was a little late in the season and there has been a some trial and error but the raised beds are producing a lot of salad. The peas, beans, garlic, chard and spring onions all seem to be doing well too. The greenhouse only went in towards the end of May so a little late for the growing season. I've had some tomato seedling donations and have planted a few other things to see what might grow and last into early autumn. Even if I don't get much out of them it will be a useful learning experience.

The greenhouse is an 8x6 Rhino greenhouse and has 2 auto roof vents and 2 manual louvre windows in the walls. It's base is half concrete (which was already there) and half gravel with soil beneath. I'm planting into grow bags and pots rather than into the soil and since I am behind the curve I plan to keep the growing modest and leave everything in there. The questions I have are:

1) Would it be worth installing auto vents on the louvres?
    2) If so, does anyone know some that are suitable for Rhino greenhouses?

I generally get to tend to the greenhouse in the evenings and weekends but with 2 kids there isn't always much spare time. I put a max/min thermometer in there and over the last couple of weeks the temp has peaked around 32c and troughed around 11c. That is with a mixture of leaving the louvres open and closed as I am a bit inconsistent in what I do with them.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

WG

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,478
    I have a Palram 6x8 and 2 that are 6x4. Like you, I have the autovents in the roof and last year I took them apart and added a louvre section to each greenhouse.

I find that in the early spring and in the fall, I hardly ever open them.

Then I just leave them open during the summer. I don't see the need to go running out and closing them every night when it is cool. I have netting over the inside of them to keep anything from deciding to use the louvres to enter the greenhouse.

They do greatly increase the air flow but I really don't think there is a need to have them on auto openers.

At least that is my experience so far. There may be others here who have them and might have some good points to make about installing same.

• Like Like x 3
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Have always used an auto opener on my louver, it does make life easier and helps cool things down, while helping keep things warmer on a cool night.

Think you will find the temp will go a lot higher, so you might find some shading a help in the summer months, either external shading cloth or the external paint on types.

Seems you can buy a louver auto opener here
      Product | Greenhouses Direct

Think there is still plenty of time for toms and any other greenhouse veg you want to grow.

Plenty you can still grow from seed like beetroot, radish etc, but don't bother with lettuce in a hot greenhouse.

Some garden centers still have young toms, cucs, peppers etc so you could fill your 8x6 twice over :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
        Ratings:
        +910
        Hi Wobblygoblin
        You do not say where you are situated, we need to know to give correct advise. I live in the north of England by the coast so I would hardly get a decent tomato if I used shading I have tried it before on numerous occasions and it has always spoiled flavour and reduced crop ripening.
        I have never used it now for over twenty years. As to your louvers vents, I have two autovents and a manual louver in the opposite end to the door. I only open the louver to get a good air flow though the plants, the louver is only required on the hottest of days where I live to reduce temps. I would say your temps 11 to 32 degrees are perfect for most greenhouse crops. My temps at the moment are ranging from 10 to 34 degrees.
        regards Sandy

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Wobbly Goblin

Wobbly Goblin Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks everyone - really helpful!

To answer Sandy I’m based in Surrey, UK. The garden is south facing but there are lots of mature trees around so we get a fair bit of shade through the day as well as direct sun.

Ricky, I should have checked their website for a compatible one! D’oh! Thank you for locating that though.

Good to know I should have time to grow things. It’s enjoyable even if I don’t get much but also a bonus if there are some tasty treats as a result. The kids are fascinated too and love helping.

• Like Like x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,184
            Hi,

Doubt you will be able to enjoy any of the 'fruits' of your labours, sure the kids will have gobbled them all up before you get home . :biggrin: