Autumn fruiting raspberries

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mazco, Aug 17, 2009.

1. mazco

mazco Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was given some autumn fruiting raspberries by a friend earlier this year. (About March). She told me to put them in and then cut them right back. She also said they wouldn't fruit this year.
    I did as instructed and I am now getting quite a few beautiful raspberries. These raspberries appear to be on one shoot on each plant and there is another one which has no fruit on at all. I have read somewhere that autumn fruiting bushes have summer fruits on them whilst sending up another shoot that bears autumn fruit.
    As a newcomer to gardening I have a couple of questions - Are these summer or autumn fruits? What should I do with these fruiting shoots when they have finished fruiting? Should I expect any autumn fruits on these bushes later in the year?

This is my first year of fruit and veg gardening so I know very little about the whole thing. I'm really pleased with what I've grown so far but still have loads to learn. I'd welcome any advice on this subject and probably many more to come.
    Thanks

2. Gren

Gren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested in hearing more on this too. We bought some raspberries last year and not knowing there were Autumn/Summer versions we never took much notice of the variety.

This year they've been going great guns with edible fruits for the last month or so but really coming into their own now and more fruit still a way from ripeness. So they are much later than our strawberries but its still far fron being Autumn.

So was just wondering when do Summer fruiters fruit and when do Autumn ones fruit?

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Cut down (to the ground) any stalks that have borne fruit when they have finished. Leave anything that has not borne fruit. Make sure you do this before Winter sets in (soon after they finish fruiting is fine, later is fine, just don't leave it too late!)

That should work for both Summer and Autumn fruiting varieties. In the first you will be leaving the suckers that will fruit next year, in the second you should be leaving nothing and new suckers will come next year.

4. suziequeue

suziequeue Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kristen for that helpful reply.

I am in a similar boat to Mazco in that we bought our house this summer and I have inherited a rather overgrown raspberry patch. Not sure what to do. :scratch:

We had a good crop in the summer when we first arrived and I now see some more berries coming (presumably this is the autumn fruiting varieties coming into their own).

I have tried to rake away all the couch grass and other weed **** that was chocking everything out.

I have cut down the obviously dead canes but left all the healthy looking ones.

I get the impression from what I read that I need to cut short and uproot all the "good" canes and replant them in a well manured shallow(ish) trench - about 12 inches between each cane.

Is that right? When do I do that?

Susanna :cnfs:

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Not sure I would transplant them. Although if they have spread all over the place, and there is no well defined "row" any more that may be the only choice - but they tend to suffer increasingly from virus as they age, and replacing soil and canes would be a better plan, although a more daunting project!, if they are on their last legs.

If that's a project-too-far, for this year at least, then just cut down to the ground any stems that clearly have the little cone-shaped remnants of where the fruits were, and that will leave fresh suckers (Summer fruiting varieties) to bear fruit next year, or "nothing" where the Autumn fruiting canes were.