Autumn raspberries and strawberries - when to mulch?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Sian in Belgium, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,242
    i have a bed that has Autumn raspberries in it, with strawberry plants at the base of the canes.

The raspberries are ok, but not heavy-cropping. I suspect they could do with a feed (I also have some Autumn Bliss canes on order)...

When would be the best time to mulch? should I try to mulch around the strawberries, or lift the plants, mulch, and replant?

Another semi-connected question. I will have too many raspberry canes to go into the current bed - 10 on order, and only need 5-6 to fill the bed. If you were integrating raspberries into your flower border, how would you go about it? What would you plant them alongside?

2. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Hi @Sian in Belgium,

I grow Autumn Bliss Raspberries, & strawberries, they are grown in joining beds with a gooseberry bush & my rhubarb. I tend not to mulch mine until the spring, an old man once told me it's better for the plant to mulch in late spring? I do the strawberries at the same time. This year I used pig pooh, I couldn't get hold oh any good rotted down horse muck so settled for the pig manure, it was as good to be honest. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2