Autumn sown tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Blackthorn, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello all. Last autumn a tomato seeded into a pot with a cumquat orange that was in the greenhouse at the time. As the weather got colder I moved the orange into the house at a south facing 4ft high window, I sort of ignored the tomato seedling. But it grew and eventually produced flowers, so I thought I would take out the side shoots and see what happens. I stopped it at 4ft tall, tied it up to the curtain rail and set the pot on a box on the floor and fed it as it set fruit. The orange wasn't to happy about this. I ate the first tomatoes in May and it produced a reasonable amount considering it's bad start and sharing the pot with an orange.
    I was surprised as the room it was in only had heating for a few hours during the evening and it got very cold last winter.
    This year I am going to sow some deliberately, on Halloween (should at least remember the date)

Anyone else care to join me? The variety was Gardeners Delight, but it would be interesting to see if other varieties could be grown like this.

2. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll join you Blackthorn! I'm presently growing two beefsteaks in 9cm pots - one a sideshoot from a summer plant and the other started from seed some weeks ago.

The cloned plant has two flowers and one fruit already setting. The 'new' plant has 2 sets of true leaves. I am trialling them in my bright study with average temp of 20 degrees. We'll see how it goes.

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Well done luckyboo. I have also chopped a couple of old tomato plants down to 3 ft high and to a side shoot. These have grown strong and are now setting fruit. Keep em going as long as possible I say - don't cost a penny - and I can't stand the tastless toms in shops during winter.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I tried before but in an unheated greenhouse. First time temp went below zero they turned black and died. Toms do need light as well as warmth but anythings worth a try. Personally I'd concentrate on saving the Kumquat though. Totally different feed and water regime to toms.

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi froguesque, I'm going to put the toms in the south facing dining room window like last year, they would not survive in the greenhouse, and they will get their own pots too. The poor old Kumquat has come through it's ordeal and is recovering fine.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I've sowed the Toms - will let you know how they get on.

7. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Going to try this at work .
    How cool can I let the greenhouse get ?
    Can use thermostat to keep greenhouse frost free or warmer?

8. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I have mine indoors on a sunny windowsill, but not sure if it's worth heating a greenhouse just for this experiment. If it won't cost you anything then have a go. Good luck [​IMG]

9. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Work in a school so it dosent cost me . :D

10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    In that case - go for it. What variety are you going to grow?
    Just read in Garden News that we are not the only ones trying this.

11. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gardenera Delight and whatever catches my eye in Q+B ( :D )tomorrow.

12. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here are my tomato plants. On the larger plant, the one fruit is growing fine but the flowers have dropped off. Maybe it's time for re-potting?

[​IMG]

13. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Gosh, a fruit on so small a plant! I assume that is the cutting taken in summer? I think I would remove the fruit and allow the plant to grow a bit more before allowing it to set again. The pot looks big enough for now. Maybe someone else will have more/better advice.

14. luckyboo

luckyboo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I loathe to remove this fruit esp. as the other flowers have dropped off. I'd be happy to have even one ripe tomato from this plant.

15. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4