Autumn/Winter direct ground sow vegetables

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TomatoLover91, Sep 4, 2024.

1. TomatoLover91

TomatoLover91 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any suggestions for vegetable seeds I can sow directly into the ground in October or later that are UK winter hardy please? Not in a polytunnel or under cover or fleeces.

Specific varieties that you have had winter success with would be great to know.

A same winter cropping veg would be great, but open to any suggestions for what I can put in my veg bed this Autumn once my summer crops have gone.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I think it's got too late for sowing now. I've had little luck this year with my winter veg sowing, they all germinated but slugs took them. Instead I've sown winter lettuce, spinach and greens in trays. This was in August and I've transplanted into the soil most now they are big enough to withstand slug attacks. They still need netting protection against birds. Your best bet is to look in garden centres for plants.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,981
    Garlic, if you like it.
    Japanese onions.
    Broad beans a bit later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Gardener

Ratings:
      +110
      I'll plant garlic in the next month or so, broad beans within the next 2 months.
      A lot of winter salads do better for me sown in trays (could be indoors) then planted out. Valdor lettuce for example.
      I've found very cheap winter veg plants to buy in the last week or two...

This generally works for me, but you'll need to adjust if your climate is different to Somerset:
      Sowing Timeline

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,151
      @TomatoLover91
      As you neglect to put your approximate location in your profile, its difficult to answer your query.
      You say 'no covers' ;that limits your scope considerably ; as even established transplants will need protection from pigeons , and butterflies which have appeared in the last few weeks.
      You might still have time to do pak choi, tai choi, mustards, mitsuna, but need to be started in trays and transplanted soon ,as mentioned under netting , at least, if you are in zone 8-9.
      As mentioned above, some garden centres may have plants, perhaps cabbage, for spring greens etc.
      Simple tunnel cloches, well anchored, would perhaps permit winter lettuce, corn salad, spinach, ethiopian kale for , in a mild winter, some chance of pickings, and in to early spring.
      Certainly use Charles Dowding's Sowing Timeline (link above) to get well prepared for the coming 2025 season, it starts next week!

• Informative Informative x 1