Autunm Rain Rsistant Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by mnw1let, Jan 21, 2009.

1. mnw1let

mnw1let Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    I wonder if anyone can tell me which of the Species of Roses bloom at Autunm time and are rain resistant. I would like to plant these to use in flower arrangements for my daughter's Autunm wedding.
    Thank You so much in advance.
    mnw1let

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi mnw1let,

I think you will struggle, not necessarily with finding ones that flower then, but with how many roses you will get in the first year of planting-or at least how many that will be at their peak when you need them.

Also Autumn is three months long-which month may I ask?

3. mnw1let

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Claire, thanks for your reply.
    Oh yes ,I didn't realize that the blooms depend on the number of years. The wedding will be on October 2010. The florist charge about £1,000 for the arrangements,bouquets etc. That is very expensive.So, I thought of doing these to save money. I am planning to get 10 bushes. Do you think this will be enough in 2 years time?

mnw1let

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Mnw1let Iceberg Is well worth looking at Flower,s for ever ,When it rains They turn just a touch Pink not much though,and its usually thorn -less Hope this is of some help:)If you need any more Infomation just ask

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It would be depending on the rose you chose, but ten quality rose bushes won`t be cheap and neither will the care of them-so much riding on it and the last thing you`d need would be blackspot or an attack of aphids!

If you use other flowers in the bunch too, ones that would compliment the roses then yes 10 will do.

Try David Austin roses, you will get a high standard of rose from them and they guarantee theirs too I think.

I had thought at first you meant this Autumn-gasp

6. mnw1let

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Claire, Yes I'll will mix some other flowers perhaps, chrysanthemum and dahlias with some nice green. And also one I saw in a book called Eryngium Alpine Sea Holly. Have you seen one of these for sale.Anyway, I am still preparing the beds then I will order my roses from David Austine, come February or March.

Wiseoldowl, (have I got your name right) Thanks for your advice. By the way do most roses get affected by the rain and turn brown. I had a nice red rose last year and the buds didn't open completely and the outer petals turned brown. My neighbour said it is caused by rain. So what can we do to prevent this.How do big garden centres cope with this problem? I think this happens to most hybrid teas,isn't it.

Regards

mnw1let (letty)

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I am having a mini nightmare with posting links at the moment, but you can purchase the seeds and it`s perennial so that should help save you a few bob.

Unwins seeds-just google " sea holly seeds" and it`ll take you straight there.

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oh and in answer to your question-yes it`s caused by being too wet, but I`ll let Woo advise further-he`s the Rose Guru, a real expert.

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    And something else, I spotted in my favourites list, www.findmeplants.co.uk good site and can give you the answers you need about what else is in flower in no time.

10. mnw1let

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, Claire. That is very helpful