Avalon Pride transplant concerns

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by EdC, Jun 7, 2024.

1. EdC

EdC Apprentice Gardener

Artist
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,
    I bought a 2yo Avalon Pride tree last week, my first fruit tree. As Im doing some construction in the back yard the plan was to keep the tree in the pot until winter and plant in the ground when dormant and construction was finished. However the plant arrived in a tiny 'eco pot' which was just a bag with the roots exposed and the tree was lovely but starting to look droopy.
    So I hastily planted it in a large pot with probably a good 10cm space all round, I loosened the roots a little and filled it with compost that Ive used with success with my potatoes.
    Having done that I started pouring water into it and it did not drain, unlike the spuds which drain very well. I then mix some sand in around the spaces which only made it muddier and messier so tried to aerate it by poking thin deep holes, trying to avoid where the roots are.
    Its draining a bit now but its very slowly. Ive added some manure on top and some mulch and made a bit of a trench at the base of the trunk and trying to water it generously 2 times a day ( I read a few liters).
    Its about 3 days and its looking droopier than ever. I understand this is pretty normal after transplanting (especially out of winter) and I probably need to wait a couple of weeks before it starts improving but just wanted to check my methodology. Any suggestions? The drainage worries me the most and Im considering cutting my losses and putting it in the ground then moving it when colder, but Ive probably put it through enough already.

Thanks,
    Ed

[​IMG] day 1 of moving to a pot
    [​IMG] after 2 days
    [​IMG]

2. amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +897
    I'm afraid you've just described what's wrong with it...you compost mix. If that was mine I'd take it out and remix the compost to make it uniform and free draining. Just adding stuff in the pot will create a really mixed environment for the roots of the plant. Is the peach grown on a dwarf rooting stock? Because if it's not that size pot will only be ok for this year.

Also what's on top of the pot, is it one of those coir mats they use for transit? I'd remove that so you have a direct view of the soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,703
      I'd do as above, but to improve the drainage add say 25% grit to the mix.

• Like Like x 1
      • EdC

EdC Apprentice Gardener

Artist
        Ratings:
        +1
        Hi, thank you for the info.
        Ok then. I have some topsoil in a large bag, I can mix that (maybe even 50/50?) and repot.
        I only need it in a pot for about 6 months. I just dont want to be working around it while building in the garden so its just a short term solution.
        That stuff on top is just grass clippings. Ive been periodically moving it to check the drainage, but its a bit pointless while watering it as regularly as I am anyway.
        Thanks again

• infradig

infradig Total Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,171
        Might consider moving it in to partial shade while it stabilises its fluids, its been strong sunlight/hot when out.

• Like Like x 1
        • EdC

EdC Apprentice Gardener

Artist
          Ratings:
          +1
          Ok, thanks for the tip.
          Ive tried all the above, lets see how it goes.
          Thanks again.

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,814
          Just to check, you did make sure that the original rootball was properly moist throughout before putting it in the new pot? If not, it can be difficult to wet it again even if the surrounding new compost is absolutely soaking wet. It can't take up moisture from the new compost until the roots have grown out of the original rootball and into the new compost. The usual advice is to dunk the plant in it's original container in a bucket of water until bubbles stop rising, and then let it drain before potting on/planting out.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • EdC

EdC Apprentice Gardener

Artist
            Ratings:
            +1
            Ah thanks. I had watered quite a bit prior. Maybe not soaking but it was pretty wet.
            Thanks,
            Ed