Baby bath

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by oakdaledave, Aug 17, 2010.

1. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys. I have aquired a baby bath and wonder if I could use this for a small pond in the 'wild' area of my garden. I understand that there are some plants that would keep the water fairly clear without the need for a filtration system. Is this right? I cant get power to that part of the garden. What would you guys advise? Thank you all as always

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    The problem with a baby bath as a pond, is that you'll get big fluctuations in the temperature as the volume of water is so small. So unless you're going to put fish in it, a pump and filtration system seems a bit over the top. Even the smallest pump would have the water "wizzing round." I wouldn't advise putting fish in it for those reasons.

I'd get a variety of plants including some oxygenating weed, bung 'em in and leave it to nature.

3. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm NOT puting fish in, just thinking of it as a feature, albeit small. I was just wondering what plants would be good to put in there to keep the water reasonable.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Dave my grand kids had a wildlife pond for quite a few years made out of a babies bath... Yes you can get native pond weeds you can put in it that will keep the water sweet, Mill foil is excellent.. You will of course have to top it up regularly with rainwater... Blanket weed could be a problem with the sunshine, but if you oik it out every few days you will win if you keep topping it up... A water top up is needed very often in the summer make sure it is rain watr or tap water that has stood for at least 24hrs for everything to settle... They had resident frogs.. Frogs spawn every year & taddies, then we actually found newts as well..... We are thrilled...
    Also we went from the babies bath to an old plasters bath 4'x2'x1' deep & now it is full of life.. Frogs, newts, snails, shrimps, water beetles, skaters, red Wriglies & even Hover fly larvae & Damsel larvae.. So you can have a very healthy wildlife pond Dave but it does need a tad of help being small.. This is the plasters bath pond now.. Full of frogs of various sizes as well..!!!!
    I just took these photos.. 1 from each end.. Pretty healthy I think & the babies bath looked like this but much smaller..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:gnthb: Anything almost is possible if you want it badly enough & my grand kids sure do they spend hrs watching.... :gnthb: They also have a small bog garden to one side made out of a large planter with holes drilled aroind it 12" up from the base, that way you keep your bog bit... :wink:

5. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Hi oakdaledave, my advise would be to try it and see. Pond water goes green because the sunlight enables naturaly ocuring bacteria grow and multiply. This particular bacteria happens to be green in colour.
    Marley Farleys pictures are typical examples, there is so much foliage that the sun does not get through to turn the water green.

I would also suggest that at one end you put in a couple of bricks or similar to act as steps, so that anything that falls in, but doesn't swim too well can at least climb out.

Go for it.

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Thanks Watergarden, the water is crystal clear & it is teaming with life.. Although you cannot see it for plants there is a slope at one end so creatures can get out & they seem to no problem..!! :hehe:

7. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks both of you. I will give it a go and see what happens. Gardening, in all it's shapes and forms is such fun and always full of learning curves eh...........

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Go for it Dave & don't get discouraged as the 1st year is the worst & hardest getting it established... This winter will see a huge change for you I am sure.. Sink it deep into the ground for winter insulation... If it freezes try to leave a hole for oxygen.. I float a ball on it to take care of that & make the hole bigger if I can, but no sudden loud noises... !! :dh::)

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Marley, how big is that babies bath you've used? I have an area I could do something similar in, but don't want to go to the trouble of a 'proper pond'. Sinking it into the ground slightly would work really well. Of course, I just have to find a baby bath!

10. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    It does not have to be a baby bath, almost anything that will hold water and support itself can be used.
    The favourite is a plastic water tank, depending on size / depth you may want to cut it down, but they are also used for water feature reservoirs.

11. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Oooh, interesting thread...

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Aaron, we moved on to a Plasters Bath a couple of years back... We have a black one but it is one of these in black & ordered over the internet & delivered from somewhere....:dh: Can't remember who though now.. :wink: I just went for the best price.... Oh & we got the biggest one..! :D

13. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks Marley. That size might be too big for the space I have, but it's food for thought.

14. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Marley, can I ask f the water is still? Do you have a pump or are you reliant on oxygenators?

15. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    The water is still, I have Milfoil as my main oxygenating weed, but I also have Water crowfoot, then my marginals which are in pond baskets I stand them on stones to give them the shallower water.. Those are Flag Iris, water mint, Marsh marigold, Houttina, a little pot of water forget me nots somewhere in there. Even trying a couple of read mace plants in a pot in there too and of course the water speedwell which is rampant on the top as you can see.. I just pull some out every now & then & I keep the water level topped up from my water butts so it is always sweet water in there & as you can see it is very healthy....