Baby Potatoes are slightly bitter

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Peggy640, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Peggy640

Peggy640 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I have been growing Nicola (sec early) spuds this year for the first time and I keep noticing that they are quite bitter and I am wondering what could be causing this?
    Is it variety? When I harvest them I store them in paper bags and then put them in the cupboard, could this be the cause?

I grow them in Sylvagrow compost. I harvest them after 70 days (As they are pretty big at this stage) could harvesting them too early cause it?

None of them have any green on them at all. They rarely taste creamy, mostly they are a bitter slightly burning aftertaste

Edit: Some other factors I should add in are, I harvested some early Jul and was still eating them by Early August, could this be the issue?

They are also grown in a very hot spot in my garden

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,690
    What are they like as soon as you pick them? I don't try storing mine till the maincrop, I like them newly harvested. Your problem is more likely the growing conditions, potatoes can tolerate heat but they must be well watered.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +614
      Hi would say also growing conditions and storage also seen this
      How Do You Stop Potatoes From Being Bitter?
      If you’re looking to stop potatoes from being bitter, here are a few tips:
      1. Start by boiling the potatoes for about 15 minutes before peeled and cutting into small pieces.
      2. Add salt and fresh lemon juice to the water before boiling, and then simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
      3. Remove the potatoes from the water with a slotted spoon and let them cool slightly before slicing into thin pieces.
      4. Serve the potato slices with some butter or olive oil on top and some chopped fresh parsley or chives if desired.

• Informative Informative x 1