BAD NEWS AND GOOD NEWS

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by ARMANDII, Apr 21, 2016.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Last night I was in the Observatory with the Laptop hooked up to the CCD camera on the scope and just starting to get into "the swing of things" when I had a problem with the software saying there was an error. I switched off the Laptop and then, with the intention of rebooting it, tried to switch it back on. I say "tried" because the Laptop, which by the way is only six months old wouldn't restart even though it was plugged into a power source. Not only that but the LED power indicators on the Laptop were not lit. I spent half an hour trying start it but no success. This was not good news as I have several licensed bits of astronomy software in it and losing those and having to replace them would have been a real pain. So I phoned up my local Computer Geek and explained what had happened and for the first time he was not encouraging about repairing the Laptop:hate-shocked: Anyway, he said he would look at it and so I took it to him and after a couple of tries to restart it and failing, he said "leave with me, and I'll take it apart and put it back together again to see what happens:snork:".......not very reassuring:rolleyespink::doh: Anyway, that was the bad news. The good news is that he phoned this evening to say he had good news and bad news. The good news is that he has now got the Laptop back on line again and it's working fine. The bad news?.......it's going to cost me £10 ........cheap at the price as it has saved me replacing the Laptop by taking it back to the Dealer and probably buying a more expensive one, having to contact the Software companies to transfer the licensed software over to the new Laptop as well as having to go through the rigmarole of setting the Laptop up all over again:gaah: So I guess there's some truth in that saying "all's well, that ends well":pcthwack::heehee:

• Like Like x 9
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'm glad you got sorted Armandii :)
      If that was me I think I'd give him his £10 and perhaps give home a nice tip as well ( perhaps another £10 ).

So you gonna be out there tonight then stargazing ?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        So am I, Anthony. To be honest, my first inclination to sort it out was to put a big hammer to it:doh:

Actually, I'm going to give him his normal charge of £40, even though he is asking for just the £10.......it's a great relief to have the computer back again and working.

Unfortunately not, because [a] I'm collecting the Laptop tomorrow, but I can't even do visual star gazing tonight as the skies have had low haze with higher, thicker clouds above it all day even though it has been sunny and warm, and now the skies are completely clouded over.:wallbanging::dunno::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Glad your laptop hasn't died. Mine decided to leg up the other day too. Friend of husband is a computer geek and took mine away with him after a visit here. I didn't know he had taken it and was red faced as the laptop was minging I having eaten loads of toast while trying to get it going and butter plus crumbs "decorated" it. I half expected a phone call to say the reason it wasn't working was because it was crumb bound.:rolleyespink:
          I got the laptop back (still with butter and crumb adornments) yesterday. It evidently had 4 yes 4 viruses on it plus god knows all what else wrong with it unbeknown to me. It took geek 2 1/2 days on and off to clear all the rubbish off it. God knows how much it would have cost if geek wasn't a friend of husbands, probably more than buying a new laptop. Geek went off armed with a ltr bottle of Gordons, so cheap at the price! Laptop now working great and I've even cleaned it.

• Like Like x 2
          • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Can you ( when you're all up and running again ) take any photos and post them ? I'd love to see some :)

( Sorry if you already do post them and I've missed the thread. If I have point me in the right direction please :) )

• Agree Agree x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              I haven't posted any yet, Anthony, as I'm just getting my head around the software "Nebulosity", ASCOM, the CCD camera software etc so I'm taking my time getting used to working in sequence with it all..........a bit of a learning curve.:doh: But as soon as I'm comfortable with it all I'll post some images.:snorky:

• Like Like x 3
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,838
                My Desktop is like that, silu:mute::heehee: I think what has really irritated me is that the Laptop is only 6 months old and has only been in use since March when I got the Observatory up and running. So it's probably only been used less than 50 times and during that time has been carefully stored when not in use and care taken when in use, so why did it die on me like that??:dunno::scratch: The ongoing problem is that should it happen again I can only get some of the data on it but not the licensed software which is the most important.:wallbanging::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +31,327
                  A tower and wires/wifi must be a reliable solution?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  I have a top end Desk top, Lori, which is USB/landline connected, while the Laptop only needs a power cable and USB connections as it is only for use with the computerised scope, and controlling the CCD camera with the specific software for that purpose. So WiFi would not be of any use as the Laptop is not connected to the internet and, to be honest, having seen the problems that WiFi can give I will never use it!! Having said that the computerised mount has intergrated WIFI so that it can "talk" to the Observatory roof to turn it as the scope also turns when tracking a Star or Planet/:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
                  • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,389
                    Hi Armandi, I hope you had a nice birthday :) The good news is that £ 10 is very little money for having a laptop repaired. Repairing a laptop is a more detailed job than repairing a pc tower Around here they charge well more than that just to look at it. :spinning:

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                      Ratings:
                      +7,491
                      Looking forward to it :blue thumb: You're not half keeping us in suspense! :snork:

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        There used to be a potential cure for apparently dead laptops which sometimes worked and involved removing the battery, connecting to mains lead, then holding power on button down for XX seconds, but these days none of ours have detachable batteries, so guess trying that would now involve opening it up to disconnect an internal battery, which is why I purchased my last laptop from John Lewis with a free 3 year guarantee.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,838
                        Hi Miraflores, thanks for that. Yes, you're right, £10 is really cheap but he's a nice guy. But, since getting the computer back has saved me such a lot of trouble by not having to take it back for exchange/renewal, plus not losing all the software on the Laptop it was worth more than £10 to me so I paid him £40 which I thought was fair.

I think with certain Laptops that remedy still stands, Scrungee. My guy was going to try that but found there was a different battery arrangement so he detached the battery and left it lying for a couple of hours, did a bit more testing but couldn't find anything wrong, put the battery back in and the Laptop came back to Life. So the real problem is not really knowing what the problem was. It was obviously power distribution but on powering up the Laptop the LED lights should have lit signalling at least the AC power if it was a battery problem, unless the circuit was a loop, which, coming to think of it, it probably was and so if one circuit isn't connected no power reaches the other. Anyway, the Laptop is up and working so all I need is some clear skies but, of course, the skies are covered in clouds tonight!!:wallbanging::gaah::heehee: But, I've got my Laptop back, and that's great!!:hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +53,894
                          Good to hear your laptop is up and running again Armandii. Clear skies would definitely be a bonus. :)

• Agree Agree x 1