Bad turf recovery

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Tim Shields, May 27, 2015.

1. Tim Shields

Tim Shields Gardener

IT Geek
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi all,

I've ended up turfing my Garden in two phases - the first was a "I wonder if it will take" the second was a "it seems to have, lets do the rest".

Unfortunately the second load of turf that was delivered was pretty scabby really - nowhere near as lush as the first lot. I'm assuming it had been sitting around for a few days before it was delivered. I've attached a close up of it when it was delivered as well as a full shot showing it as pretty patchy (the grass in the foreground is the first lot that I'm v. happy with).

IMG_20150517_172642.jpg - close up of pretty dead turf?

IMG_20150516_090514.jpg - turf as laid with nice lush turf in foreground.

I've been keeping it watered every evening when I get home, but whilst the cenre of each piece of sod seems to be growing, the edges don't seem to be responding - its now been 10 days since it was laid. As such its looking worse and worse (will get an up-to-date shot tonight).

What can I do to try and recover the edges? Or should I just leave it to get on with its own healing - and in which case, what sort of time scale would I be looking at?

Sorry for asking a question that I am 100% sure has been asked before - but I could not find it in search (I've a 7 week old son - so spend most of my daylight hours in a haze of fuzziness).

Thanks.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,993
    I think you've answered your own question there, sounds like the second batch of turf was poor quality. I wouldn't give up though - keep up the watering.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,892
    As John has said keep up the watering for the time being, if there is no improvement in a week or two then I'd speak to the firm you purchased it from. In fact, if it came from the same place as the first batch then it wouldn't be a bad idea to speak to them about it now.

Whatever you do, don't attempt to feed it as it will put it under to much strain at this point.

4. Tim Shields

Tim Shields Gardener

IT Geek
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks guys - yeah, will keep on with the watering and hope it come through in the end, just wasnt sure how to long before giving it up as a not going to happen.

• Friendly Friendly x 1