Baffled By Basil

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Smiffy, May 24, 2008.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    (Just move this from the edible group)
    I am growing a small planter of basil on a kitchen windowsill.They are now 250mm tall and the biggest leaves are about 50mm long ( thats 10" and 2" in fahrenheit :D ). The leaves smell fantastic and I am looking forward to my cheese tomato and basil sandwich.:p
    My question is how do I know when the leaves are ready for picking ? Do I just pick the leaves off or should I cut the stem back to the next node ? Advice appreciated.

TIA

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Smiffy

At 50mm, the leaves are definitely big enough to use. You can take leaves separately or pinch out the ends of shoots (with all their leaves) just above a node which will encourage side branching. I find that basil is quite short lived and pinching out keeps it a better shape.

Enjoy the plants you've brought on so well now to the full and plant some more seed straightaway for late summer use?

3. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice Flinty , I have just ordered a packet of basil seeds from Ebay - and will plant for late summer. The ones I have, have taken exactly 9 weeks to reach this stage - and I got nearly 100% germination. So I will just sow as many seeds as i need.
    I know its like saying how long is a piece of string , but as you say the basil is short lived how long approx should a plant live once its matured ?

4. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Harry

I reckon once a basil plant has reached sufficient size to give useful leaves, it has a maximum productive life of about 3 months. You might keep it going longer than that but the leaves won't be at their best. In particular, once it has flowered, the plant goes down hill. At that point, I administer euthanasia. It's only an annual, after all. It has a short life but oh such a warm, aromatic and tasty one.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    I've found that I can propagate the plants by cutting some leaves with about 2" of stem and suspending them in a glass of water with 1" of stem in the water. It takes a couple of weeks for them to produce roots.

6. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Flinty and Shiney , I will try both methods - seeds and cutting - to get a late summer crop. I can even make my own pesto rub for the BBQ :)

cheers

7. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    When you buy pots of Basil from Supermarkets etc, there are far to many in the small pot. I always split them and when a reasonable height pinch out the growing tips..so they bush up.

If you get an overabundance of leaves...do what I do..chop them up and put them into ice cube trays. Freeze them and then bag them. They freeze great for stews, stuffing chickens and lots of other uses.

Tis a lovely plant I think and goes really well on tomato or salad butties, home made pizza loads of things. :thumb:

8. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks tweaky , buying in pots from the supermarket is an excellent idea. I will buy some later this summer for my second crop.