Baggage restrictions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jack by the hedge, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm due to make an airflight to Prague shortly and it will be the first time I have flown since restrictions were introduced because of fears of explosives being carried in containers in baggage.
    Does anybody know if these restrictions have been relaxed at all or are passengers still not allowed to take drinks/cosmetics etc. contained in bottles on to the flight? Are other forms of packaging, such as deodorants in cans, orange juice in sealed cartons disallowed?

2. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi Jack, your best bet is to look at the carrier's or airport's website, or to contact them directly. Restrictions have been eased generally but some carriers/airports haven't.

enjoy Prague, its a lovely city especially the old town.

3. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    jck bth i can only speak for manchester airport and yes the restrictions are still in place, what airport are you departing from.my father had 2 cans of coke and a body deodorant taken off him last week at lverpool airport but i also know my brother got through with cans at the same airport 3 days later. i say the tougher the restrictions the safer i feel, i know its a pain in the bum
    here is a bit of info i found
    Hand Luggage - New Security Measures.

Passengers are requested to be patient while additional security measures are in place, allow extra time for their journey and be prepared for possible delays.

On 6th November new security measures came into effect for all passengers departing from UK airports.

Cabin baggage and size allowed
    ONE item of hand baggage is allowed; dimensions: 56 centimetres long [approximately 22 inches], 45 centimetres high [approximately 17.5 inches], 25 centimetres deep [approximately 9.85 inches] including wheels, handles, side pocket.
    All items of luggage which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size must be checked in to be placed in the aircraft hold.
    Musical instruments which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size are allowed as a second item of cabin baggage, they will need to be screened and passengers should check with their airlines if special arrangements (e.g. purchasing an extra seat) for these large instruments will be required.
    Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. A laptop bag will be regarded as your one item that is allowed in the cabin.
    Pushchairs, walking aids and wheelchairs are permitted but will be screened.

Liquids

Some liquids (e.g. gels, lotions, pastes, liquid cosmetics, foams and foodstuffs) are now allowed through airport security check points. There are the following restrictions on the quantity of liquids:
    Liquids may only be carried within separate containers each of which with a capacity not greater than 100ml.
    These containers must be brought to the airport contained in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which itself must not exceed 1 litre in capacity (approximately 20cms x 20cms). The contents of the plastic bag must fit comfortably and the bag must be sealed.
    Each passenger may carry only one such bag of liquids. The bag must be presented for examination.
    Liquids that can not be placed inside the re-sealable bag must be packed into the hold luggage and checked in. Liquids of any amount can still be carried in luggage checked into the aircraft hold.

Please note 'Liquids' include:
    All drinks, including water, soup, syrups
    Creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara etc
    Sprays and pressurized containers including shaving foam and spray deodorants
    Pastes, including toothpastes
    Gels, including hair and shower gel
    Any other solutions and items of similar consistency

Medicines

Essential medicines and baby food may be permitted in larger quantities above the 100ml limit, but will be subject to authentication.

Duty free / departure lounge purchases
    You may take on board liquid items of any size that are purchased after the security check in the Departure lounge.
    Most duty free or similar purchases will be given to you in a special sealed bag. Do not open this bag until you have reached your final destination. You should also retain your proof of purchase throughout your journey. You will be required to show it at all transfer points.
    **Please note restrictions apply to duty free purchases made on return journeys where passengers change flights at an EU airport. These are explained in detail on the Department of Transport's website

These are the requirements set down by the Department for Transport. Airlines and Airports may have additional measures in place. Passengers are strongly advised to check the website of their carrier or airport before travelling.

Hand Luggage - What Not To Pack
    You should always check the exact hand luggage allowance with your airline prior to packing. Most airlines have a hand baggage measurement gauge at check-in.

Take only one piece of hand luggage and make sure that your hand luggage does not contain:

Scissors Razor blades
    Knives with blades of any length Household cutlery
    Tweezers Hypodermic needles (unless required for medical reasons)
    Tools Toy/replica guns (metal or plastic) Catapults
    Knitting needles Sporting bats
    Corkscrews Walking/hiking poles
    Billiard, snooker or pool cues Darts

If items are confiscated at security control you will not be compensated and, with the exception of unusual circumstances, the confiscated items will not be returned.

Syringes that are needed for diabetics and other medical reasons will only be allowed in hand luggage if you can prove the medical necessity. You may wish to phone the airline in advance to find out what they require as proof of your medical condition.

All Luggage - What Not To Pack

In addition to the restrictions on what is allowed in hand luggage, there are a number of items that must not be taken on board an aircraft, either as hand luggage or in the hold. Please do not pack the following anywhere in your carry on or check in luggage:

Flammable liquids and solids Oxidisers
    Organic peroxides Gas cylinders
    Infectious substances Wet car cell batteries
    Instruments containing magnets Instruments containing mercury
    Magnetrons Fireworks
    Non-safety matches, fire lighters, lighter fuel Paints, thinners
    Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller Acids, corrosives, alkalis, caustic soda
    Creosote, quicklime, oiled paper Radioactive materials

4. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both the above.
    I'll study the list very carefully, and hope I've got to the end by the time my flight leaves!!

5. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389