Baked Beans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Victoria, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    I may be a Lady of Leisure but I am also so because I am economical.

Mondays with is us called "Poodle Night". I always have a jacket potato and t'other half has pasta (noodles). I usually have cheese and onion with a smidgen of cheese, because I'm a boring person, but often like baked beans on it.

Here's to the subject title ... I have always bought store brand baked beans. For the 14 years I lived in Alabama you did Boston Baked Beans ... beans, onions, brown sugar, bacon bits ... it didn't matter what brand the beans were. So, when I went back to England I bought "any old bean" as I tarted it up, probably a bit like me. :rolleyes:

I ran out of my Tesco supply of beans and bought a tin of Heinz last week in my local grocery store at the cost about 77p. I just opened it ... 1) there are less beans and more sauce and 2) I can't taste the difference.

I await my order this week from the English shop who are bringing me in Tesco brand beans cheaper.

My sister is adamant on brand names for certain items like beans, soups, corned beef.

Any comments on brand names to non-brand names?

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I buy morrisons and tescos own brand LoL and i cant tell the difference think they are pretty much the same taste.
    I like baked beans in with shepherds pie they are great all together
    my mother always bought brand names also, she wouldnt have any other make

3. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    LoL,

A long overdue hi [​IMG]

I love cheese and beans, with loads of bread and butter [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As for brand names, Tesco value sucks, Sainsbury's own brand are reasonable as is Tesco own brand. Heinz is rather moorish but watch out for Branston Baked Beanz, i got a bit excited about these ones, thought they might be combined with pickle [​IMG] was very disappointed to find they are just plain baked beans :(

Tesco corned beef is nice, as is Sainsburys, as long as you don't go 'cheap' they are all much of a sameness to us lot (sorry KG [​IMG] )

Soups are a different matter to us. Heinz are fatty, thick and especially the cream of chicken which is insipid [​IMG] , i think you can't beat Baxters, made with fresh ingredients and spring water, i love the carrot and butterbean, low cal and gorgeous.

4. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    [​IMG]
    There is just NO substitute.....

Beans beans good for your heart
    The more you eat the more you f**t.
    So i'm told.

[​IMG]

5. CactusLady

CactusLady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta agree with Roders there - it just has to be Heinz !
    A few of the Spanish supermarkets stock Heinz now - Mercadona and Upper, ranging from 80 cents to 85, which isnt bad for a foriegn product [​IMG]

6. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Roders,

The winds of change will always be blowing if you eat them thar beanz :D

Hi CactusLady :D

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    :D :D :D Love you ag ... couldn't have said it better myself. [​IMG] Some people have no taste, do they? It's far better to have bad taste than it is to taste bad, don't you agree? [​IMG]

Our local store also sells the Branston but I didn't buy it because as much as I like Branston, I don't fancy it with pickle ... a bit like you fancy this with that and that with the other but not the other with that and ...

Other than the fact that I can "tart things up" it doesn't matter what brand it is. Same thing with corned beef ... I HATE Princes or whatever it is ... paste, some store brands are better. Again, tarted up (notice I use that phrase a lot :rolleyes: ) as corned beef hash with onions and potatoes and HP Sauce (note the brand name here [​IMG] ) ... excellent ... you'd never know what brand CB it was. Trust me, folk, I'm the expert on this one ...

PS It's also Bovril and not Oxo for me because I can drink a Bovril cube and not an Oxo cube. [​IMG]

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    nice one paula i nearly fell off my chair with laughing from roders tinned beanz to this :D :D :D :D

9. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    LoL :D

I make good old welsh corned beef hash patties, basically same as yours but you roll em in flour and fry 'em - bad for dieters but great for a hungry tum [​IMG]

10. Sunshine P

Sunshine P Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LoL i did a test with my boys and hubby with brand names and cheap as chips ones, i didnt tell them which were which of course, so when i delivered them to the table i told them all taste and let me know, first i put out the cheap ones, beans actually, they wolfed them down, then i put the heinz beans, wheres the beans they asked to much sauce with a bean in the middle so, i do that with all foods, i buy one branded name of everything and cheap of the same and the answer is always the same to much sauce in branded yuk, so in my house cheap as chips and that goes for hubby too :eek: :D

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    nice hearty food :D :D going to have to make me some of them patties

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Beanz Meanz Heinz- Not :D :D

13. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    All this talk of beans is making me hungry....
    I often used to take a small tin of beans and a spoon to work and eat them cold, straight of of the tin, for my lunch - lovely!!
    Everybody used to laugh and say it would be windy in the afternoon but they never had any effect on me [​IMG]

Anybody else like them cold?

[​IMG]

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    sometimes i quite often eat them cold from the tin, yes jjordie they are ok

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,139
    Well, we've sorted the beans and corned beef out ... so any other preferences ????

Ooh, jj, posted and saw your post. I can do the same thing ... also with a tin of petit pois peas or sliced beans ... how disgusting is that?