Bamboo and grasses

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by french floozie, Mar 18, 2008.

1. french floozie

french floozie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone successfully grown Bamboo from seed?
    Also grasses?
    We have about 300 sq metres of land that I want to plant up with bamboos and grasses and it is obviously going to be too expensive to do it with mature plants so I want to try and do as much as I can from propagation and seed.
    I know you can split them but I have seen seed for sale and am just wondering if it is actually possible to grow from seed or if this is just a gimmicky thing.
    (I know this wil take ages to do but this is a long term project and I'm not looking at planting onto the site for a year or more)

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Hi FF, I have grown some plants of pubescens, which I think is another name for edulis.

I sowed the seed about four years ago now and after a slow start they are really getting going now, which is good as I think its one of the bigger types.
    Its just like growing grass, but longer term, and the seed is only rarely available of any paticular type.

Miscanthus is a grass that I have also grown from seed, and its easy.

I've also tried a tropical bamboo, which was not a good pot plant. [​IMG]