1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. November Photo Comp is now open with a great new theme.! Come and join in.
    Dismiss Notice

Bamboo division.

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Whippet, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Whippet

Whippet Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have a bamboo which has spread quite a lot.
    Can it be divided, because it looks as though they are all individual shoots which are coming up.
    If so, will it be a Spring time job?

Thank you.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +2,429
    They can.

Here's a photo of the "bamboo forest" at the bottom of our garden, it's only nine inches or so thick but hides the post and panel fence. There's also a clump of black bamboo behind the pagoda which we've had several years, but hasn't grown much.

This bamboo against the fence started out as a clump which was self seeded from somewhere half-way down the side border nearly twenty years ago.
    I dug it up in one big rootball about two feet across. I then set about splitting it up into segments of four or so canes. I had to use a spade to divide it. I then replanted the individual clumps in a line along the back fence and they all took.
    It's a slow growing unknown variety and doesn't send out rhyzomes, just spreads a bit. I occasionally have to prune off a few canes that creep forwards rather than sideways. I also have to "wire it" with a couple of strands about four feet up from the ground right along the length to stop it flopping. There's always a few canes that grow higher than others, so I cut them back to keep the top fairly level.

We like to think it adds a bit of mystery to the bottom of a small garden of a suburban semi.

P1060732.JPG

P1060726.JPG

P1060727.JPG

3. Whippet

Whippet Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thank you so much for your reply - and the photos. You have a lovely garden.
    Is that a Rowan tree I see? I have one too, which is now right in front of the bamboo.
    No way can I dig up the whole root ball, I will just have to chance trying to get bits at a time.

I took this picture a few nights ago. I have an outside light, and the rowan leaves looked like copper. You can see the bamboo to the left of it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +2,429
      Thanks for the kind words.
      The tree next to the pagoda is a Sorbus, the little one is an acer I prune to a ball shape.

We like lights in the garden, we've a dozen of them, controlled by four switches behind the lounge curtains, plus a dozen solar lights.

P1020912.JPG
      Lit Pagoda.JPG
      P1060029.JPG

P1020915.JPG

Attached Files:

• Whippet

Whippet Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +100
      It must be very relaxing for you, sitting looking out on to your garden. It looks stunning.
      I only have a floodlight on the wall of my house.
      It is just used when my dogs go into the garden in the dark. :biggrin: