Bamboo Grass - Spreading everywhere !!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bilabonic, Jun 12, 2009.

1. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I was given some bamboo grass 2 years ago and planted it in my front garden borden in the corner.

I think that's what it is ?

It looks nice but it starting to spread the WHOLE length of my border/about 5m and when cutting grass today i found i stalk popping out of it as well !!!!

Shall i dig it out/try to remove it ?

Cheers

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't plant anything with the word grass in it's name. I don't like this trend for grasses. I always imagine they would be very invasive. i think you might have trouble digging it out completely. I would hack it down and use Glyphosate weed killer on it. I don't know I just imagine it would be difficult.

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Hello bilobonic and welcome to GC.

I can't help you with your problem ... my two Bamboos are in pots .... for safety sake! I do think you have a massive problem on your hands.

I am moving your post to the Tropical Gardening section as it may attract more attention there and therefore more help.

Good luck!

4. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Will this killer affect the surrounding shrubs ? It has basically grown through whole border and mingled with them.

ta

5. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Not if you don't spray the leaves. Gather the shoots of bamboo that are intermingled with other shrubs and sort of squash them down then spray with glyphosate on the ground. If it is springy peg it down. Be wary of spray drift. Do this on a still dry day. Keep dosing it every few days.It will take about 2-3 weeks to see it shrivel and die. Don't by the ready made spray. Too expensive. Get the stuff you dilute and if you haven't got one get a hand sprayer. You can adjust the nozzle for a more direct jet. Costs about a fiver in B&Q

6. Silmar

Silmar Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    OOhh I made the mistake of planting bamboo on a bed on the side of our patio and it went everywhere :oops

Hubby ended up digging it out of the bed. He had to take up the flags on the patio too as the roots had spread right under half of it. Lesson learned, never again!!! :hehe:

Good luck

7. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had some from Wilkinsons and have brushed it on the leaves and cut stalk ends. Will let you know how i get on.

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    There are some bamboos that are not invasive, best to choose those types if you don't want them to take over your plot.

9. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,863
    You may have to end up digging the whole lot out - lots of time and effort:( Bamboos can be very very persistant and may well recover from any applied weed killer.
    Next time go for the clump forming type or stick it in a pot!