bamboo in pot

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cookygirl43, Mar 19, 2011.

1. cookygirl43

cookygirl43 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The children asked me today wht I would like for mothers day...I would like a bamboo plant. Tho I want to grow it in a pot, I dont really want to put it in the garden. Is this possible? would it grow in a pot?

2. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    My partners Dad has got bamboo in a pot, and It is growing very well, though if im honest, I would estimate the pot holds around 200+ litres of compost!

I think a smaller pot would be ok though, 200 litres is a little extreme.

I think potting up bamboo is actually recommended in some situations to prevent it from spreading, as it is very invasive. By having it in a pot, it will stay within its confined space and not go on the rampage!

:thumbsup:

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,350
    Depending on the variety 100''s, you can grow in a pot but within 12 months you may have to go for a bigger size go for a ceramic pot not plastic as it will soon lose its shape with the roots pushing at the sides , very hungry plants and lots of water during the summer so you cant neglect , depending on the variety not all spread but most do, but dead simple if they do you just cut them off !!!

why people go on about them spreading its easily sorted out.

The black bamboo isn that fast , so I think that may be a good choice.

I dont know of any one on here to ask maybe others could name some to give you advice what would be best

Hope this helps ps I think they like seaweed fertiliser as well I do gro them and they do look fab and make a wonderful screen

Spruce