Bamboo in pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Another question from me (I'm planning for next year!)

Last year I bought 4 bamboo plants from an offer in BBC Gardeners World magazine. I now cannot remember what varieties they are, except one is definitely phyllostachys nigra and there are 2 dwarf varieties (one variegated one plain). The other is a broad leafed sort...?

Being a novice last year, I didn't think where to plant them when I got them so shoved them into a bed that I now know is totally unsuitable, being very damp. They have been moved another 2 times (yes, I know, never happy!). They really haven't done well at all so I am thinking of lifting them and growing them in pots. I know bamboos need to settle in, but they have done this I think and still aren't that great.

Questions-is this possible and how big a pot will the large ones need? I assume the dwarf ones won't need so big pots?

Thanks!

2. amanita

amanita Gardener

semi retired
    Ratings:
    +14
    Pots will be fine, around 45/50 litre for them all. The varigated dwarf is probably pleioblastus fortunii so will spread so be prepared, when it has filled the pot, to turn it out to split it to pot on
    Use wood ash as top dressing - you wont go far wrong

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
  4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Aaron are you really sure you want to grow the plants in pots? because sooner of later them pots are going be pretty heavy,near impossible to move without pulling your back and them plants bursting their containers!:flag:

You could always improve the drainage of your soil if you have indeed the ideal place for them but the soils not too great, all you have to do is add some drainage material such as grit/gravel and a good mixture of compost believe me it's really not hard to get the right balance for any plant most bamboo plants take a while to settle in but once they have settled down boy do they do well with only a little extra care in the first couple of years.Hel.xxx.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks Hel. I am really reluctant to put them in pots if truth be known, but only because the patio is only so big and I am running out of room. But the space they are in now is a) really, really wet and b) totally unsuitable for them.

My problem is space-I am running out of it and these bamboos were bought before I envisaged there being a problem. I have banned myself from nurseries and garden centres until I can sort out a permanent home for them. Perhaps one of them on the patio, just for the noise they make as wind blows through them :)

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lol Aaron you have been afflicted with the dreaded disease that at some time or other all gardener's get and that's the 'Lack of room' syndrome, I have not quite reached that stage yet but when I do I just don't know what I will do! Hel.xxx.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    My OH loves having a bit of lawn in the garden. I don't especially as I cut it as well :dh:However I gradually encroach the bed and border into it, little by little to get more room. Eventually the "lawn" will look really small, probably around next July :gnthb::hehe:

8. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,597
    Here's a potentially crazy idea from someone who doesn't really know what he's on about, but, if drainage is a problem, why not build a slightly raised bed for the bamboo at the location you want them, then bamboo being a tall plant, put some sort of creeping plant in the same raised bed that will flow over the sides for a more natural look?

I have no idea if that would work by the way, but I'm just thinking that raising the bed would allow for extra drainage.