Bamboo question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by potgirl, Jun 15, 2010.

1. potgirl

potgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Hope there is someone who can answer this question. A couple of months ago I planted three 'golden bamboos' at the far end of the garden in front of woven willow panels as a screen. All three were quite substantial plants with fairly fine yellow canes. They were incredibly pot bound had to literally cut the pots with secauteurs to release them. Have watered them frequently and for lenthy periods with an oscillating spray.

Within the last few weeks new shoots began emerging which seemed dramatically different. All new shoots are growing at fair old pace and are now between 2 and 4ft high. They are as thick as my thumb ! After an awfuld lot of googling have finally identified exectly what it is. Phyllostachys Aureosulcata f. spectabilis. Green Groove Bamboo. Must say the new canes are incredibly beautiful.

Question - Is this difference between the canes when purchased and the spectacular new ones normal ?
    Have I planted a monster that will run wild or is it really clump forming ?

Would appreciate any advice and expertise

Thanks in advance

Carol

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Carol,
    Well they are clump forming but they will still spread.. They are beautiful I have to say..It is a tall bamboo with green-grooved, golden-yellow canes, which can flash with shades of red in the sun, fading to darker yellow with age. I have a Nigra & I have surrounded the roots on mine with a non-perishable barrier that restricts the plant's spread. I used something we had at the farm. A friend of mine has a large circle of ridge tiles sunk in & then she cuts around the outside of the circle 3 times a year to get rid of any stray shoots.. :thumb:

3. potgirl

potgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for the advice Marley. Can certainly give it some free reign as there is plenty of space and nothing its competing with. Your tip re a barrier of roof tiles from a friend is really useful as we have stacks of them available for use when I feel the time has come to restrict it.
    Am looking forward to the canes opening to leaves at top as agree that the canes are very beautiful and it shoulld be their crowning glory.

Thanks so much for the advice and info

Cheers

Carol