Bamboo Trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Gilly, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Gilly

Gilly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have got two bamboo trees in my garden, i am not sure what variery they are, they are in a part shady part sunny position. Any advice on how to look after them?

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I can give you some information on bamboo but what is the vote for?

3. Gilly

Gilly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a new member i dont really know what does what yet

4. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Sun or shade to grow bamboos properly you need good quality soil enriched with plenty of organic matter. They like to be fed regularly and watered regularly, but at the same time they like well drained soil. Bamboo leaves can be both dried and scorched by wind. Emerging canes stay the same girth regardless of how tall they are or how old they get. Cutting back the weedy canes promotes the production of thicker canes. I trim my bamboo of shoots up to 2 ft up the cane to show off the colour of the canes. Bamboos can be killed by drought although the phyllostachys group are considered fairly drought resistant.

These are some of the bamboos i grow which are invasive but easily controlled by division and strategic planting between natural and Bananaman inspired barriers. Follow the link to the post about bamboos I did in may. :D

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001819;p=1#000000

A fantastic book on bamboo is Hardy Bamboos: Taming the Dragon (Hardcover) by Paul Whittaker

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/088192685X/202-6786564-8639857?v=glance&n=266239

This book taught me plenty.

If I can help you further don't hesitate to ask.

BM [​IMG]

5. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    And I forgot to say welcome Gilly from Warrington. Sorry.

BM [​IMG]