Bamboo

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Michael Hewett, Oct 15, 2024 at 8:41 AM.

1. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +19,522
    I was recently given some bamboos from a neighbour who was getting rid of it, and I planted it in two pots. However, the leaves are curling inwards and I suspect it's because its roots were cut through.
    What I want to know is should I cut them off, or cut the stems off, or should I just leave the bamboos alone ?

I don't know if these photos will illustrate it properly ...

127_5765.JPG

127_5765 - Copy (2).JPG

2. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,868
    My bamboo leaves usually curl in like that if the plant is thirsty or in the sun. Assuming neither is the case here, I would think the cut roots can't support that much foliage. I would remove the stems with the most leaves down to the compost surface and see if the ones left fare better. If you do nothing, what it will probably do is shed quite a few leaves and send out some new ones in spring.

Bamboos are survivors. They don't take offence easily, in my experience. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
      Ratings:
      +824
      It’s a grass, so you can treat it pretty much as you would any other grass. As ViewAhead says, they are hard to hold back. :)

• Plantminded

Plantminded Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,356
      That's a sign of dehydration @Michael Hewett. As the leaves haven't gone brown yet, I'd give it lots of water to help it recover and keep it out of any sun and wind for a while. You may also need to consider putting it in a larger pot, both wider and deeper. They are tough plants. You could reduce the number of canes as well to reduce the pressure on the roots. Remove them at the base, not higher up as they won't regrow and will look odd. Choose the thinner, discoloured or misshapen canes. I do this every year, reducing the number of canes by up to two thirds on all my bamboos. Ideally it would be better off and less demanding in the ground, with a root barrier to keep it well contained.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 3:10 PM
    • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +411
      I wouldn't be so quick to heavily prune it because it does look thirsty but if the leaves are not being shed, it should have time to recover. Removing weaker growth is good but they can completely defoliate and still come back. It's a good time to move things as the ground is still warm enough to let the roots develop and I'd be more concerned with how it looks in the spring.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,925
      Funny how opinions differ!
      I always reduce by half the top growth on divided bamboo, as has been said, the roots can't compete with the transpiration until they're re established

• Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +411
      I think it depends on what you read or your own experiences, as to what to do. I've seen more and more recently about not cutting back plants when moving them because the extra foliage powers new root development quicker. It obviously depends on the type of plants but it seems more common with roses now and bamboos recover well ime at this time of year.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +24,138
        I had exactly the same experience when potting up a chunk of bamboo. I just kept it watered and let it settle in; you'll find new spikes coming up in spring and you can tidy it up then :)

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +19,522
        Thank you all ... but I'm confused now :heehee:
        I think I'll just leave them alone and see what happens.

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,857
        Do you know what type of bamboo your kind neighbour has given you? Do you know they can take over a garden very quickly and are almost impossible to eradicate, unless you have a neighbour to give them to. The running type are close to being registered as a pernicious weed as they travel everywhere and are very difficult to control. The clumping ones are easier to keep under control. Beware!

.Thank you all ... but I'm confused now :heehee: