Banana Advice

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by rachelg, Feb 10, 2007.

1. rachelg

rachelg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I have been contemplating trying to grow a banana plant from seed but there are so many varieties I don't know which one would be best to try. Any suggestions?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    That depends on what type of plant your looking for, they come in all shapes and sizes and some are much hardier than others.
    There are dwarfish types or massive really fast growing ones, There is lots of choice these days from places such as Jungle seeds or Chiltern seeds.
    A new one (for me), I'm trying this year from seed is Musa Glauca, its supposed to be pretty hardy I think I saw it somewhere called the "snow banana".

3. rachelg

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete, I have already checked out Jungle seeds and got a bit daunted by the choice. I have read that the Musa varieties could be a good choice. Ideally I want something that is fairly hardy that doesn't get to massive heights.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Well reading through it looks like most of the smaller kinds are pretty tender.
    They dont get that big their first year usually, so maybe you could grow a hardy kind and if it should get too big you can always cut it hard back in the spring.

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi rachelg, is there particular reason why you want to grow them from seed? They only cost a few pounds for a basjoo of a size that would take you a couple of years to do yourself.

www.KobaKoba.co.uk have loads of bananas and information about numerous varieties to try. Unless you are nutty about bananas and have the time and energy to look after them properly, my advice would be to stick with basjoo and hack it back when it gets beyond your space. This is unlikely to happen as they only get 4 feet before frost cuts them down. Mine obviously grow bigger becasue they are protected and I believe pete folds his over for a bit of protection. Another option is to go down the canna route and go for something like musifolia the banana canna which is route hardy with some protection and grows the size of a good ornate banana in one season.

BM [​IMG]

6. rachelg

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Banana Man, I guess I just want to see if I can grow one myself rather than buying one. The basjoo does seem to be an appropriate choice given the space that I have and its hardiness, but I will have a longer look at the KobaKoba website when I get home and have more time to look properly.

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I assumed as much [​IMG] I am trying some ensete seeds but would always buy basjoo from KobaKoba. Their plants are second to none owing to their expert seed selection.

They really are good and have some amazing bananas of fanrtastic quality.

Stu AKA Bananaman :cool: :D