BANANA PLANTS

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by daz and debs, Oct 27, 2006.

1. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi can anyone tell me where on here thers information on banana plants and pictures please thanz [​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  3. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks wow thats lovely i want that lol all of it i love banana trees

4. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hello can anyone tell me if musa valentine is hardy and easy to grow plz thanx daz and debs

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    Hi daz and debs, is that velutina, the pink banana?
    If so then I dont think its considered very hardy, Jungle seeds suggest a winter minimum of 10C. But other than that its probably as easy as any other banana to grow.

6. roseman

roseman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    thanx for that roseman good site just what ive been looking for all the best daz

8. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Pete yea thats right velutina thax mate.I know how i want my garden to look just dont know what to plant.I think i need a good book on exotics.

9. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Having spent some years experimenting with so-called 'flowering bananas' (those with especially showy and colourful bracts), Musa velutina is probably the best option for growing out of doors. It can grow reasonably well outside in a decent summer and if given adequate moisture and feeding, can even produce flower spikes. Musa mannii with brick red bracts will grow and flower in the South West if given protection, but the closely related ornata forms want sustained summer heat and humidity to make significant growth.

In most regions of the country however, Musa velutina needs to be overwintered under cover since it can only withstand very occasional, light frosts provided daytime temperatures rise appreciably. For growing permanently out of doors, it is really only possibile in very mild, virtually frost free regions suchas the far South West or the 'heat-sink' of central London. As to overwintering temperatures; it can be kept growing all year round if maintained above 15C, but very poor light levels mean that any growth made will be weak and disease prone. Far better to keep it close to dormancy with temps in the 2C - 5C range and hold back on watering.

Being a compact plant, rarely more than 2m. high at best, it is easier to keep under cover compared to the larger growing bananas and Ensetes. I've treated it almost like a Canna in the past - cutting all shoots down to about 30cms. in late autumn and keeping it cool and dry. By bringing the plant into a warm (18C) greenhouse in February, growth resumes quickly and flowering spikes can be expected by late summer. It makes an excellent subject for a sunny patio when grown in a large container.

10. daz and debs

daz and debs Gardener

Ratings:
    +3