Bananamans Trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Banana Man, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    This is a re-post of some information I knocked up for HoneyBee in my 'Hideout' post but should really be in the trees section.

Hi HoneyBee tree trees trees, where to start.

First of all you need to decide where it is going because of roots and your sloping plot. Being on lots of clay you may need to seek advice about how a tree might affect your hard landscaping. Clay areas are absolute boogers for subsidence in the summer as it shrinks. If nothing comes up as an issue I have compiled a list of trees that I grow in my garden which I would recommend for the tropical look and are my personal favourites.

I list them as 6/6 or 8/4 etc depending on how long they keep their leaves. I have taken some pictures as they are today but obviously their interest may be at different at different times of the year, so I will try and find examples of that. Also another tip is to try and layer the canopies so that they ascend away in different shades and shapes.

Layering (Pic1)

[​IMG]

Layering (pic2)

[​IMG]

Layering (pic3)

[​IMG]

My first tree is the one you spotted which is Prunus cerasifera 'Pissardii'. It is a 9/3 which means you have leaves from April to November and a month of blossom with only 3 months of bare tree. Only consideration, as with all cherries, are that it roots close to the surface.

(Pic4) Small back Garden

[​IMG]

(pic5) Large Front Garden

[​IMG]

(pic6) Large Front Garden

[​IMG]

(pic7) Large Front Garden

[​IMG]

2. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    My second red tree is a Acer Platanoides Crimson King. It is a potentially large tree but very easily pollarded. Roots are also a consideration with this one if you let it get massive. 6/6

(pic8) Crimson King

[​IMG]

(pic9) Crimson King

[​IMG]

Third are my catalpas and paulownias both fantastic foliage trees easily maintained, and im told deep rooted. If they get too big simply hack them back in spring and off they go again. 5/7 at worst 4/8.

Catalpa (pic10)

[​IMG]

Catalpa (pic11)

[​IMG]

Paulownia (pic12)

[​IMG]

3. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Fourth would be my Acer platanoides ââ?¬Ë?Drummondââ?¬â?¢ , a beautiful cream edged mid green leaved tree. Another medium to large tree but would not be a problem if managed, as all trees should be. 6/6

(pic13) Drumondii

[​IMG]

Next Sorbus aria. 'Lutescens' ... White beam another great tree, can keep small to medium shape and it is a dense foliage tree good for summer screening but is a 6/6.

(Pic14) Whitebeam

[​IMG]

(pic15) Whitebeam

[​IMG]

Acer pseudoplatanus Brilliantisimum' beautiful tree if grown well, Small compact and relatively slow growing. 7/5.

(pic16) Brilliantisimum

[​IMG]

(pic17) Brilliantisimum

[​IMG]

4. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Common Fig (Ficus carica) grown as a proper tree is lovely forget about the fruits just concentrate on the massive foliage. 6/6

(pic18) Common Fig

[​IMG]

Acacia dealbata, evergreen beautiful flower and a really tropical looking tree. I have it very near the house just to keep it ahead of the frosts.

(Pic19) Accacia

[​IMG]

Albizia julibrissin rosea good patio tree for planting through the patio into ground. Does well in pots till it runs out of steam. Good specimens can be achieved if looked after and can achieve good sizes over time.5/7 perhaps more depending on location.

(pic20) Silk Tree

[​IMG]

Malus tschonoskii, I bought this as a fortifying tree for the front garden, dense foliage and conical habit can be planted close to the neighbours because it grows back on itself. Nice fruits, small flowers, good all round tree with burnt appearance in autumn. 6/6

(Pic21) Malus tschonoskii

[​IMG]

Rhus typhina, now some people get fussy about this because it suckers, but again if you now its bad habits you can keep it in line. I love it and wouldn�t be without it for tropical feel. Some have a nasty sap that I am careful of but I have never had any accidents.6/6

(pic22) Rhus typhina

[​IMG]

Magnolia 'Susan' is a deciduous shrub, resulting from a cross between M. liliiflora 'Nigra' and M. stellata 'Rosea'. Love this plant great green leaves and fantastic blooms, again good foliage colour to contrast with the more common greens.

(pic23) Susan

[​IMG]

(pic24) Susan

[​IMG]

(pic25) Susan

[​IMG]

I hope this helps HoneyBee, the pictures were a bit rushed taken in the heat today, but I didn�t have any recent specimen pictures that showed good likeness. I dare say people have other favourites but these have been best performers for me in the type of tropical look I wanted to achieve. I also go for specimens that produce good form because they create a balanced solid structure as the additional tropical plants can at times be less regimented for which the well structure trees balance out.

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    banana-man, just logged onto to brackenheads and the urine problem ,just had to tell you i have never laughed so much, had to add something, when you read down everyones it got funnier then i came to the bit about get a bucket of water, hope everyone else has the same sense of humour as me.

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    By the way your pictures are lovely iff i had a garden i would definately take ideas from yours, but have to make do with my balcony and dream about one a fabulous as yours, keep up the good work

7. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  8. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Brilliant BM and I like the months of foliage rating. Any chance you could also add opinions about hardiness and soil type?

Spring can be the worst time up here, growth gets underway with a warm spell then along comes frost/wind/snow/perpetual rain and everything gets knocked back.

9. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Of course I can. I just did this as a quickie in another post. I will edit it to improve it. [​IMG]

10. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: BM looking at your trees has given me lots of ideas. we moved in 05 dec and the garden was amess.its staring to look more sub tropical.returf lawn in may and now looking for trees. fancy

11. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Height is important in a tropical garden, you need to create a feeling of being 'amoungst' the plants. If I were to recomend just one tree for a tropical garden for potential height and tropical foliage it would have to be the paulownia, but have a look through, there are loads of possibilities :D :D :D

12. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Outstanding as usual, BM! [​IMG]

13. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    BM THANKS we are off to the garden centers this weekend to look for the plant you suggested and hopefully more,let you know.FANCY
    :D [​IMG]

14. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  15. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    brilliant info. on trees Banana Man.
    many thanks

I have a garden that I am trying to plan and this has helped a lot.

will post in a seperate thread when I have got some photos together to show what challanges I face with my garden.