Bananas - have I killed them?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Honey Bee, May 1, 2006.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well - you have all probably come across somewhere here me going on about my Bananas and how I left them out, but put them in the greenhouse in January...... Well, I'm getting imaptient now, as there has been NO acitivity from them at all.... last year, my Musa Basjoo sprouted by the end of April - but both that one and my Musa Ensettee are just playing "dead"... has any of yours sprouted yet? Or are thay all behind as it been so cold???? :confused: :confused: I'm really tempted to tip them out the pot and see if there any roots....

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    If there is no sign of growth you may as well look at the roots, if they are black and soggy it may well have gone completely if not wait and see, it may need a little longer to get going. [​IMG]

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    You are not on your own I planted mine out by a warm wall and forgot to cover it and this winter has been very cold. No sign of any growth I fear the worse. Also lost other softies, looking fairly expensive but it could be worse.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Mine are just showing green leaf, still rolled up but definitly moving upwards.
    Cut through the stem with a sharp knife, if its dead right through cut again a bit lower. Keep moving down untill you see green new leaves rolled up in the middle. The basjoo should be OK, not so sure about ensete.
    [​IMG]

5. Alf Poier

Alf Poier Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do

[ 02. May 2006, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Webmaster ]