Bare root tricyrtis (toad lily)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jilbo, Nov 23, 2008.

1. jilbo

jilbo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A few days ago I took delivery of some bare rooted tricyrtis (can't remeber ordering them to be honest). They came with no instruction!

Have looked them up on the internet and seems they are usually sent out Feb time.

Saw a feature on bare roots in gardeners world magazine last night, panicked and put them in a bucket of water in the garage. Have now read they should be soaked in a little warm water.

Have I killed them off? If not how/when should I plant them?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,483
    I have several types of toads in my gardens. They are pretty tough guys for me. I would plant it now and just water it for first few weeks, unless mother nature helps.
    After they come up and flower, they actually make babies. I'll find a little one shooting up here and there. They like shade, not heavy shade though, and for me, they bloom in the fall.
    Last year, I transplanted a big guy, gave it to a gardener friend, it popped up nice the next year.

3. jilbo

jilbo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your reply redstar. I'll plant then tomorrow, I have a nice semi shaded spot for them