Base or slow release - what's going on?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by clanless, Apr 29, 2023.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    I've been planting up my hanging baskets and urns. Usual mixture is compost - vermiculite and slow release fertiliser.

Thing is I've run out of slow release fertiliser - but rummaging around the potting shed - I've come across some base dressing - which looks like the slow release and has broadly the same NPK.

Can I use the base dressing in place of the slow release - to save a few bucks?

Ta :dbgrtmb:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  2. gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +4,947
    Yes, but unlike slow release it will only last for 6-8 weeks. When I make hanging basket & patio compost, I use both. If you had 100l of unfertile compost I would mix 50g of base and 150-200g slow release, normally 5-6month longevity.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,628
      Thanks for the info. :blue thumb: I've been throwing in a handful of granules to whatever compost is in the potting tray. Now I know the ratios, I'll start using the appropriate amounts.:smile: