1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Base Suggestions for 8x10 Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Jon Leech, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Jon Leech

Jon Leech Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

What's the best base for my 8x10 greenhouse?
    It's going on an area of lawn, I've costed for a full concrete Base, but reading more that's not looking like the best option...
    I plan to have staging on one side, and beds on the other, path down the middle....
    Would you:
    1. Perimeter base of concrete, and then use paving slabs for the staged and walkway areas?
    2. Just pave the perimeter and stage / walk areas?
    3. Pave it all and have raised beds?
    4. Something else?

Thanks!
    Jon

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Good choice/value on the greenhouse package, did you buy any extras ?

How long before it arrives...?

Would not place the base directly onto flags , they will always settle.

The link shows what Simplicity recommend, though think I would dig holes and set the corner anchors with concrete; drill two holes into the anchors and push some 6" nails into them so they really hold in the concrete.
    6HE Simplicity Instructions

Unless very sheltered, think I would do a couple of concrete filled holes along the length of the base and when set use some plugs and screws though the base.

Some folk bury the base to grass level so they can walk in without a step over the base, but it does reduce valuable working height, partic if you are tall.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jon Leech

Jon Leech Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Hi,
      Yes, it looked good value... bar capping, 3 roof vents and one side louvre (all with auto openers), drain pipes and a water butt, 2x two tier staging 4ft x 30"... got it with the extra 10% Tatton discount too! It's on a delay order, so no date yet... got a 20x10ft apex shed coming too :)

If I use flags, the ground will be prepared with hardcore, membrane etc... so will be stable.. I prefer the idea of a concrete perimeter though, with the slabs for the required inside areas giving drainage...

If I did a concrete Perimeter to sit the Greenhouse on, and then flagged the staging area, how much prep would you do for the flags?? Just a few inches of hardcore with the flags sat on top, more, sand, membrane to stop weeds rec?? Not sure what's best..

Thanks,
      Jon

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,325
      Hi @Jon Leech I have found that staging really needs a good solid stable base - mine is a bit wonky so drains unevenly. Also it is amazing how many weeds (and especially ferns) try to grow in the conditions under staging. If you don't mind weeding out under there fairly frequently, that's fine, otherwise go for membrane etc. Apparently the great Christopher Lloyd used to let ferns grow luxuriantly underneath for summer, then cut them off in autumn to avoid too much damp.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

Yes, agree that a concrete perimeter/ring or complete base is the ideal, and for my smaller 8x6s I did use a ring, but for a gh that size its a lot of work, partic if you are doing it on a soft lawn /top soil, so needing a lot of digging /hardcore vs the simpler, deeper post hole method.

Importantly its about getting the concrete ring level/even.
      I would think the best way would be to lay and level the concrete as best as you can, then gently lay the base on to it , so it dries to match the base.
      Letting it dry then putting the base on it, as I did, will probably not be totally level/even and you will need to use plastic packing pieces etc.

Worth getting a pack of those plastic spacers either way
      120 x PLASTIC WINDOW GLASS GLAZING PACKERS SPACERS Mix 1mm to 6mm - 100mm x 28mm | eBay

As you will find building a greenhouse is all about getting the base level and square, any error and its amplified throughout the whole construction, though you do not see how much its out until you cannot get the last few joints or pieces of glass to fit ! :mad:

Use a good long spirit level and tape measure to check all the sections are true as you build them.

Always good to see pics of the works in progress ! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Woods ok if treated correctly i did this with mine and sealed it with oil, you could use landscape sleepers for the base and drop a wood floor over it, cheap affective and looks nice.
        11111.JPG 333333.JPG 2222222.JPG 4444444.JPG 5555555.JPG IMG_0111.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • Jon Leech

Jon Leech Gardener

Ratings:
          +3
          Thanks for the ideas...
          Love the interior decking!!

• Like Like x 1