basil with yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by gingeritus, Apr 28, 2010.

1. gingeritus

gingeritus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm growing basil in my cellar under grow lights (see signature link for setup).

The basil, which is grown from seed, started very green when I repotted them, but the new sets of leaves are yellow.

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be please?

Thanks
    Gin

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I grow Basil in pots on the windowsill and never have any problems. Maybe it needs proper sunlight?

3. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Two 4ft tubes aren`t really enough, basil is a tropical herb so it likes plenty of light.
    As you are in the cellar, the temperature may be another issue ideally somewhere around 18-20c at night and 25c when the lights are on.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Take it out of the cellar and get it onto a sunny windowsill.

5. gingeritus

gingeritus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The tubes provide ample light. The basil I am having probs with are only seedlings. Everything else seems to do ok.

However, I have placed the 3 pots of basil in to heated propagator trays (still under the lights and I think they're greening up a little at the tips of the leaves.

I will bring one of them out to the greenhouse to see if it picks up over the weekend. I suspect a combination of too much water and not enough heat - although the temp in the cellar is between 15-20 degrees due to central heating pipes - but I find that over watered soil seems to keep the soil cooler for longer as it takes longer to dry and out being self cooling in a fashion.

I'll report back after the migration. :D