Battery Powered Hayter Mower or Push Mower

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RDB85, May 19, 2024.

1. RDB85

RDB85 Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    I’m looking to replace my B&Q Petrol Lawm Mower. You can’t get parts for it and I hate it in all honesty. I’ve decided that I maybe better with a Battery Hayter. I’ve found one online for £349 with a battery and charger. Or the other option is a Webb Push Mower.

Webb 30cm Hand-Push Roller Lawn Mower - Screwfix

I’ve upload a picture of my lawn at the moment.

Attached Files:

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    As long as you feel fit enough to use a push mower that should be OK but it is only a 12" wide cut. Should be light to push and good exercise with walking up and down.

Takes me back to the days when everyone had push mowers and it was the gentle sounds of those, on a Sunday, all along the street. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,926
      I used to have a push mower like that Webb it was ok provided it was used regularly. It wouldn't cope with long grass like the first cut of the year.

• micearguers

micearguers Gardener

Bits & bytes
      Ratings:
      +86
      I have a push mower. Love the sound of it, and there is an element of exercise as well. I've never had a petrol or electric mower, so don't even know how it compares. When the grass is too long in places I use shears. Perhaps best for smaller lawns.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,992
        I love my push mower. I used to use a hover mower, got fed up with constantly wrangling the cable and was thinking about getting a cordless one. But with the expense of them, and the weight once you included the battery, it occurred to me that maybe it would be worth trying a push one.

My grassy areas are quite small, but also pretty bumpy and the front lawn is on a slope, but it copes with all this fine. I did my first cut of the year with it this year.

It's so much more relaxing not having the noise and the cable. I agree with @micearguers, it makes a really lovely sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • RDB85

RDB85 Gardener

Ratings:
          +11
          They look okay. I do like the look of the Hayters. It’s the best of both worlds. Price is quite a lot but it should last a number of years. The only issue with the push one is my garden does have a fair few dips and divot in it.

• Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,938
          If you decide on the cordless mower it’s worth buying an extra battery so that you always have a fully charged back up. They are often interchangeable with other cordless tools too. I have a lightweight cordless Stiga mower which is more than adequate for my two lawns.

• Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,054
          My OH was fed up with his corded mower and he was waiting for his hip replacement when he bought his mower. A push one was out of the question with his hip problem so he bought a battery Mountfield mower. He loves it. It is light and really easy to use. He still loves it, he had his hip replaced in Feb last year.

• KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
          Ratings:
          +458
          I wouldn't personally go down the manual push mower route. After a period of heavy rain, and we've had plenty of those, or when the grass has not been cut for a while they are very difficult to use. I wouldn't want to cut the lawn with shears in order to be able to use the mower, but each to their own. The lawn doesn't look huge so a battery mower should have no problem cutting it with a single charge. As others have said, buy a second battery and remember to charge them regularly even when not in use.
          I currently have a Honda petrol mower but will certainly be considering battery if/when I have to replace it.

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,759
          I used to have an electric mower that I only used for the first cut of the year, but I found that I didn't need it so I gave it away on Freecycle. My push mower does the job OK as long as I don't let it get away. The first cut is usually in February - we often get a fine dry spell then - and it's been known to get a trim in the winter if it's been growing. Do I care that the neighbours think I'm batty? What do you think!!

Edit: It might not be a good plan if you live somewhere with high rainfall or heavy soil.

• Like Like x 1
          • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
            Ratings:
            +458
            @JennyJB You got dry weather in February??!! We didn't have more than maybe 48 hours without rain from about October until about a month ago. It was certainly too wet to cut the grass, although the mild and wet weather ensured it continued to grow.

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,759
            This year, we actually had a very wet February, 76mm in total (more than double the long-term averages). However there were 15 days with no measurable rain, and 7 with only between 0.5 and 2.5mm. Most of the rain fell on 8th-9th-10th, 15th-16th and 21st-22nd, leaving plenty of grass-cutting opportunities.