bay getting too big

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by loopy lou, Jan 2, 2010.

1. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    i have a 25 year old bay tree. it started off in a pot and then after about 20 years i planted it into my garden, its now getting a bit too big. questions; can i cut the top off and reduce the height, can i cut out a couple of stems as it appears to have several trunks? I do really like it and it looks good all year as well as being useful. its just getting too big for my little garden.

thank you

loopy

2. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Lou and welcome to GC.

We used to have a kitchen bay tree that we put out in the summer months and carried into the Wintergarden during the winter period.

I cut it back and thinned it out at least once a year during the last 5-8 years that we had it and never had any problem with it.

Unfortunately, the neighbours who looked after it last spring when we were away, tended it to death and there was no saving it.

Wait until after all chance of frost has gone in the spring and then you can trim it back. Good luck.

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Loopy

Like Kedi-Gato says, bays really need regular trimming to avoid the need for major restructuring. But the bay is a vigorous species and is always trying to be 15 metres high. Wait till spring and then go carefully with the loppers or the saw and be prepared for the tree to take a whole season to get over its operation.

4. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    oh thank you both very much, i will do as you advise. i am very fond of the old thing - it was my first ever proper plant in my tub garden when i had a flat so its good to hear i can at least try and keep it

loopy

5. Bluedun

Bluedun Gardener

Layabout
    Ratings:
    +37
    I very often cut mine back hard and it grows back with no problems.

It is planted in the garden and will grow back up to 2 foot a year.

6. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    thank you for your replies. I will prune it back in spring then. Bluedun, i didnt realise they can grow that fast! and i didnt know they can grow that high Flinty. At the moment mine is 8-10 feet tall with a 5 foot spread.

Loopy