bay tree questions

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by karaman, Sep 19, 2017.

1. karaman

karaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    hallo,
    had really hard (-20) winter last year, small bay tree just about survived and after some molly-cuddling grew two new bayleaves.JPG shoots this year.
    Questions:
    -- does it need to be in full sun: seems to be growing very slowly
    -- what sort soil does it want: acid or the other one / should i give it manure
    -- can i take off its green leaves now (about 20) before winter and use them in my spag bol or should they need drying first
    -- when can i transplant: now in autumn or next spring?

i use bay leaves in my cooking a lot, i want to nurture its well-being (and mine)

thanks, karaman

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,951
    @karaman
    It would probably prefer sun, normal soil so long as well drained, I would give it mulch to protect over the winter. If the weather forecast is for -20°C (where are you by the way?) I would cover with agricultural fleece or news paper. Moving I would wait until spring and it is starting to shoot. At the moment I would leave the leaves on it. I just pick them off my bay and use straight away.
    As for growing slowly its probably just settling and forming roots, they can get quite big if you let them.

3. karaman

karaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    thanks for comprehensive reply, much appreciated. Location: southern shores of lake balaton, hungary. i didnt cover her last year, thats why she almost didnt make it. have fleece, will cover and shift to sunnier spot in spring. thanks again, karaman