Baytree question

Discussion in 'Trees' started by new_gardener, Nov 25, 2009.

1. new_gardener

new_gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to everyone, my first post :)

Hi have a question about a bay tree/bush in my garden. It's about 25 feet high and is very bushy from the ground up. Will it hurt it to cut the lower branches back to the trunk. I'd like to do this to about 6 foot off the ground.

Thanks in advance.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi & Welcome to GC.. Well I think they are very tough resilient trees.. Will this leave a nice top though..? If you really don't like the look of it now.. Then I would go for it.. They are slow growing so after a while it should be fine.. Just be careful to keep the shape as you cut up the trunk & also be careful not to damage the bark on the trunk where you are cutting.. Stand back & look to make sure you have it even & you like the look of what you are doing every now & then too..:)

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I agree with MF, bays are tough and can be reshaped. However, it won't like the removal of its lower branches and may take a whole season to recover its growth pattern.

The standard shape (i.e. a neat lollipop) that we tend to associate with bay trees in pots is not their natural shape when grown in the soil unchecked. They're quite a bushy, scruffy kind of a tree.