Bcs 720 rotavator with lombardini diesel engine

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TonyD, Sep 13, 2010.

1. TonyD

TonyD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi forum

any ideas as to what the problem maybe with my rotavator. When i depress the clutch lever the machine still creeps forward, any ideas as to what the problem might be.

regards

tony

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,442
    I don't know your specific model, but I imagine it is a cable pull clutch and that the cable has stretched. It's a quick job to adjust a clutch cable, there should be a knurled nut at one end of the cable to take up the slack, make sure you leave 1/4 inch spare movement otherwise the clutch will slip. Your manual should confirm this tolerance. Don't adjust the clutch with the engine running!

3. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sounds like your clutch is slipping. Check your owners manual and see if they give details of how to adjust the clutch.

If you do not have a manual. Make a note of how things are set up NOW. Then with the engine NOT running, unfasten the knurled adjuster screw fully. Slip the cable nipple out of its locator socket. Squirt some chain lube down the inside of the cable housing. Put that back together.

Follow the clutch cable all the way from the controls to the engine/clutch housing and check if there is another adjuster anywhere along the cable. If there is unfastenit and release it until you have lots of free play. Re-adjust the cable until most of the slack has been taken out. You need about 3-4mm freeplay. Lock the adjusters in place.

Fire up the engine and test the clutch.

Good luck

Chopper.