1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Beech Hedge

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by SAH, May 15, 2017.

1. SAH

SAH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I wonder if I call upon you for advise please?
    I've planted further Beech trees (to make a hedge) expanding on the ones recently planted by the landscaping company on my new house.
    I have copied the distance between the ones they have planted which is around 20cm appart, is this correct?
    Also do you advise to cain the new trees (currently 40cm in height) and when should I start to top them?
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
    Steve

2. glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    20cm is fine, but you've already done it so too late to be asking that question!

Cain? Do you mean insert support canes? No need to do that at all.

Top them when they get close to the ultimate height you want them at.

3. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    Resist the temptation to wait until they reach the desired height - before you trim :spinning:. The trick is to trim them back each year until the base of the hedge is bushy/dense and then let them grow to height.

It takes longer for the base to go bushy if you have a tall hedge.

I planted a beech hedge at my old place - planted them is a staggered double row.:blue thumb:

No cains needed - even if the hedge is planted wonky - the beech will naturally grow straight up and the hedge will eventually look straight.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1