Beech hedges.

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Grays, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Grays

Grays Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Morning all,
    Our property is surrounded by hedges, a mixture of privet, beech and some other type I don’t know the name of, anyway…. about 80% of it is Beech.
    I usually cut the beech once a year in August, and tbh it is the bane of my life, involving ladders, long reach hedge cutter, and neighbours who have never cut “their side” in the 9 years we’ve been here.
    Would it be ok to start doing a bit of the beech now (we are away on holiday in 10 days) or would it be better to wait?
    I just want to do a few sections while the weather is good, and also not have that dreaded feeling on holiday of coming back to this yearly mammoth task
    The privet sections need doing twice a year, I keep the beech down to once, really what I’m saying is would it keep growing if I cut it now and need doing yet again?
    Cheers all.

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,199
    Yes - it would keep growing, but how much would depend on weather. It may only need a light tidy along the top if there was any growth.
    Any birds still nesting may prevent it being done just now, but that would be unusual unless you had lots of sparrows or anything that has more than one clutch in a season.
    I used to do my Dad's beech hedge when it got too much for him - ladders also needed as it was a fair old depth and height. I usually did it in late Aug. or early Sept, but that kept it right for the year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Grays

Grays Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Yeah, that’s when I do it.
      I’ll probably wait till then.
      It’s the reason that we will eventually downsize and move, looks beautiful when it’s done, but every year it gets harder and harder…..
      Someone said why don’t you pay someone, but I dread to think what the estimate would be, well over a thousand I would think for the amount to do. Normally takes me a solid weekend and a few evenings, plus countless trips to the local tip.
      Shouldn’t moan really…….
      I’ll leave it till end of August.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,690
      We have all beech hedging here. My neighbour had a man come and cut it this week, he always does it too early despite me telling him it will grow a bit more needing another cut in September. It just looks too scruffy for him at the moment and he does have a point.

I'll wait till August to do mine. Even though the neighbour's side has had the top done it needs cutting back properly, the man only lightly trimmed it as he always does. This is the problem of getting people in, this person just wants to get it done as quick as possible then go. It means the side on my neighbour's grows a couple of inches every year, he is not a gardener so doesn't understand when I explain. It's now a couple of feet thicker on his side than mine which makes it very difficult to reach across at the top.

I bought a henchman platform ladder as it's the only safe way here, we are on steep slopes and have steps. The ladder was expensive but less than paying for a cowboy to come in and wave a trimmer across it all.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,690
        I run my mower over the cuttings and put it on the compost heap.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Grays

Grays Gardener

Ratings:
          +10
          I’ve looked at those types of ladders and they are ridiculously expensive for what they are, good investment though I guess.
          Regarding using the mower to cut down on trips to the tip, I will give that a go this year
          Mine have definitely got wider while we’ve been here, partly due to the neighbour never once attempting to cut his side, I’m literally on the top of the ladder throwing the long reach hedge trimmer over in an attempt to reach, infuriating.
          We have 2 apple trees which I try to keep on top of each year, he has one….. never been touched, you’ve never seen a bigger apple tree in your life