Beech Hedges

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by newtoitall, Feb 3, 2013.

1. newtoitall

newtoitall Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Hi folks, when is the best time to have my beech hedges trimmed? They still have a fairly good covering of last years leaves (brown) on and I was wondering, should it be done before this years new growth starts or not?

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,808
    We used to own a red and green beech hedge, I still remember it wistfully.... I wouldn't prune now as it may harm the stems where the cuts were made. Enjoy that wonderful shiny new growth and that soft, silky feel of a new leaf..:wub2: . We used to prune ours in the Summer,
    Jenny

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,926
      I agree with Jenny, I have beech hedges all around my boundaries and they only need trimmining once a year if you get your timing right. The best time is late August. Resist touching them before then otherwise you will have to do it again before the autumn as it will look scruffy.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      If they were not cut last year, and have already reached "required size", then I would be inclined to cut them before the Spring. otherwise I think they will shoot from the tips, and all that growth will be cut off when you cut them in August, and you won't have as much leaf for them to "hold" over the winter.

Beech hedges (and many other, similar, hedges) need cutting annually in August to keep them "smart"