Beetroot Apple & Onion Chutney... :)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Marley Farley, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :yummy: Beetroot Apple and Onion Chutney
    (Gran’s Recipe)

1 lb. beetroot peeled & cubed (about 1 cm. square)
    1 lb. (after peeling and coring) cooking apples
    1/2 lb. onions
    good handful of raisins
    1/2 lb. soft brown sugar
    1/2 pint cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice..
    Chop beetroots apples and onions quite small (1 cm. square) and put into a pan, add the raisins & allspice with the vinegar and sugar. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar is quite dissolved then simmer gently until thick and soft.. Once the chutney is ready, remove from the heat & let it settle for 10 mins, then carefully spoon into the jars and seal while still hot. You can eat it straight away but it will be even better after a month. Will keep for up to 6 months in a cool dark place but once opened, refrigerate and eat within 2 months.
    THOUGHT>>>> Try to use plastic lined lids as the vinegar reacts with the metal ones and can cause the chutney to taste awful.

It's fantastic with cold meats or in a cheese sandwich & goes well with a nice strong sharp cheese

• Like Like x 3
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Made that by trippling up the ingredients.

Used a sugar beet in it too, plus half a pack of Tamarinds, boiled them up in vinegar & then put them in the main saucepan in a sieve to keep the seeds out.

Tastes great:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,126
        :yahoo: Good to hear.. Will taste even better in a few weeks if you can keep it that long..?? :tomato::tomato:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        :D Got 7 humungus jars of it & still haven't touched the surface of the beetroot crop:DOH:

I need a separate kitchen, it would be so much quicker if I didn't have to clean the entire place first, cook lunch while i'm doing it and have to put up with all the washing up being dumped in the sink while i'm trying to use it:DOH: