Before I go getting all unreasonable.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,881
    Now, before I get off on the wrong foot with this, I want to be clear that the neighbours in my street are great and I do not have an issue with any of them, nor do I wish to have; BUT, there is an issue that is starting to somewhat pee me off now, and despite mentioning the problem to more than one of the neighbours in a nice subtle conversational way (yes, I can be subtle! :snork:), it seems to be getting worse.

In short, the way that people are parking is making it increasingly difficult for me to get into and out of my driveway - perhaps they are doing it as most will have seen my hi-vis work attire and know that I am not without a bit of skill in the driving department, but is that a suitable excuse?

This was the view that greeted me from my driveway this morning:

Drive1.png

The Focus on the left has been parked there for a couple of weeks now, and hasn't moved - not overly sure who owns it, but think it is one of the houses across the street and to the left on the picture. The white BMW belongs to a fairly regular overnight visitor to my neighbour.

Here is the view once I have pulled forward to the point of exiting which might give some more perspective:

Drive 2.png

The above shows my car just at the top of the small slope that is my driveway - when I leave my driveway, I want to turn right (the same way that the Audi is going). To get into my driveway yesterday after work, I had no choice but to drive up the driveway of the neighbours across the road (straddling the adjacent driveways of the two houses, to get a straight enough 'line' in fact), before reversing into my drive.

With the way these cars, particularly the BMW, are parked, I cannot turn right but instead have to turn left then go up the street and turn around - no biggie as such, but an inconvenience. What is really peeing me off though is that even turning left, it is a pretty close thing as to whether I can get the car straightened up enough as the kerb edge starts to rise, the booby prize being a chunked alloy or a nipped tyre sidewall.

The exact same situation presented itself to me when I was leaving for work yesterday monring - at 4am, in the dark, whilst trying to get the car started and out of there as quickly as reasonably possible to try and not wake any neighbours up. Yesterday morning, I rubbed my offside front wheel, and although the damage is very minor (I was going slowly enough), it is still frustrating - and having lashed out £400 on a set of new tyres only a couple of weeks ago I really don't want any nipped sidewalls.

Here is the view of my driveway 'gap' (on the right) as viewed once I have turned around and am now heading the way I want to be going as it was this morning:

Drive 3.png

And for further perspective, a view of my driveway, which as you will see is different to all the other drives in the street in as much as it is only one car's width and is an 'in and out' job - not much scope for shunting back and forth to get a better angle.

Drive4.png

So, do I have a point or am I being an unreasonable git?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      The problem is that the crossover is too narrow, it should be at least another 1.2m wider, full width of driveway plus splays either side.

Check your local Highway Authorities guidelines for width of dropped kerbs, they usually have design guidelines online:

[​IMG]

crossover.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,968
        Your dropped kerb is not centrally aligned with your driveway. I suppose that encourages neighbours to park right up to where the dropped kerb starts/stops which as well as being offset, as Scrungee says, is too narrow anyway.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997
          [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +32,984
            Park your car in front of your drive of a few weeks

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Like Like x 1
            • Creative Creative x 1
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              I suspect that the original off road parking consisted of 2 strips of slabs/concrete paving, a narrow strip away from the house and a wider one adjacent the house which also provided a path to the rear gate, and these aligned with that small crossover, a typical do minimum housebuilder provision. At a later date these were replaced with the current arrangement of (450 x 450mm?) paving slabs.

I cant see any drainage (such as a slit gully) to that hardstanding. If surface water runs off onto the footpath that's an offence under the Highways Acts. Widening the crossover will require a site visit by a Technician from the local Highways Department, and if that hardstanding discharges onto the footpath they might pick that up and require addition of drainage (or reconstructing using porous materials), and if it's rented accommodation the Landlord might not be happy about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Creative Creative x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +92,062
                It's a problem I think a lot of people might be having, not sure what you can actually do to sort it out though.
                I sometimes think there should be more yellow lines in residential areas and they should be enforced.
                Equally parking on grass verges should be stopped.

Around here it is becoming a bit of a war in some roads, and has @Jiffy says, people dont use their driveways because of the problems of getting out of them, so they park on the road or grass, leaving the driveway empty.
                Which obviously makes matters worse.

My neighbours have now got 4 cars, they have paved over the whole of the front which accommodates 3 of them, but I'm now finding one parked on the grass outside my house for a fair bit of time, but what can you say without starting an argument?

A lot of the grass verges around here are like ploughed fields all winter, and some roads you have to look ahead a hundred yards or more, before entering, to see if it's clear, as the parked, (abandoned) cars leave no way for vehicles to pass.

Yellow lines are the only answer I can come up with:scratch::frown:

Especially since they put ramps at the ends of all the roads around here, and then then made them single lane ramps without any parking controls.

• Like Like x 1
                • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +51,881
                  No, reconstruction is not an option, and to be honest it is none of my business. All I am asking is that some consideration is given when parking.

I tried to park over my driveway, but ironically the position of the Focus is such that I would block my neighbours drive as well as my own, and could only do that if the visitors car isn't there (it wouldn't even fit if her car was there) - besides, I have declared that my car lives in a driveway for insurance purposes, so leaving it overnight would leave me open to problems if it got damaged.

Re the drainage - there is a pea-gravel/silt gully along the length of the wall between my drive and next doors; I think it is just a soak away, but it seems to work as even in the heaviest rain I have never seen water discharging over the footpath. The driveways themselves were installed by the council - all of them on this side of the street are the same (typical Surrey council - the cheapest option only!), but goodness knows when they were done as the houses have been here since the late 20's.

Parking is a bit tight in this street at times, and I am not looking to be given a football field's worth of space at all times - we all need to come and go a bit to make it work. I think this past couple of weeks it has really got to me because of the bloody Focus - if I had it at one side or the other, I wouldn't care, but both together got on my goat.

I'll speak to my neighbour next time I see him - he probably hasn't even given it a thought, as he is a decent guy.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +92,062
                    FC it looks like your kerb was dropped a long while back when life was much simpler and it was just a way of getting the motor off the road.
                    Happy days.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +92,062
                      Sounds nasty, but I have been known to laugh out loud on the odd morning when I go down the road and see a complete line of wing mirrors knocked off and laying in the road.

But does it stop them, no way.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +51,881
                      I think that is part of the problem @pete - this house has had three 'tenants' since being built, us being the third. The entire area was an orchard until it was built upon in the late 20's or early 30's, and when the houses were built any driveway space was intended for one car and one car only (probably an Austin 7 at that!); there are three delivery vans in the street alone (although one of them, the people that own it technically live in the street around the corner, but they are on the corner if that makes sense), working from the end of the street, car numbers per house are as follows - on my side it is:

3 cars (2 fit in a drive)
                      1 car (2 if visitor is overnighting), 1 van (both fit in the drive)
                      1 car (mine) (fits in the drive)
                      2 cars (both fit in the drive)
                      then there is nothing for quite a distance until the next house.

Opposite, it is:
                      1 car (no drive)
                      1 car (fits in its drive)
                      4 cars (5 if a boyfriend is overnighting), 1 Sprinter van - (drive can take two cars and a van or four cars)
                      2 cars (both fit in their drive)
                      1 car (in drive)
                      4 cars (drive can accommodate 8 or 9, but often only 2 or three are in there)
                      5 cars (four fit in a drive at a push) and then it is way off up the street.

So, in 11 houses there is 26 vehicles as a minimum........

• Like Like x 2
                      • pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +92,062
                        Apart from yellow lines I'd totally ban all vans with logos, if it's a commercial vehicle it has no place parked in a residential area, just like they wont let them in the local tip, (sorry Recycling facility).
                        I'm fed up with massive vans and tipper trucks littering the roads.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                          +19,596
                          Buy a cheap dilapidated old huge car or van or 4x4, Park it on your drive, and have a sticker made up in the window saying something like 'I'm coming out whether you're there or not, ask yourself who cares most about their car'.

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                            Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
                          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +48,968

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
                            • Funny Funny x 4
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +23,857
                              Absolutely nothing legal you can do about it :( The council won't help you, neither will your local Highways nor the police... Although the highway code says you can't block access / egress to a driveway, no-one seems able to enforce it. We had something similar-ish here where a nearby school meant lots of cars at dropoff times and lots of blocked accesses. Eventually (and I mean years) the council put white lines across all driveways up the road, but only on the school side... You'll never guess what happened next lol

It's damned aggravating but I think you're left with polite conversations and redressing the dropped curb outside your drive.