Beginner gardener needs help with her lawn!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by bellapinkpink, May 10, 2008.

1. bellapinkpink

bellapinkpink Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pretty bad lawn and would love to have it turfed but way out my pocket. The grass is a bit like how a previous gardener described theirs 'straw type grass rather than nice green stuff in places. Also where there has formerly been large clumps of thicker grass'. Also near and under conifers it's completely bare. I did last year try and re-seed but must have done something wrong as nothing happened. So any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete beginner so I'll probably ask silly questions to your replies like, How exactly do you overseed?! Thanks in anticipation.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Bella, first of all you need to rake out all the dead grass. you should then lightly break up the soil of the bare patches, and rake them level. Then give the " lawn " a good soaking. The next day re-sow with lawn seed. Gently rake it in and tamp down with the back of the rake. Keep the area moist but not wet.:thumb:

3. bellapinkpink

bellapinkpink Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you David, I'll give that a go.