Beginner !

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by fireside, Jun 27, 2006.

1. fireside

fireside Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just aquired my first ever garden and am looking for some advice please ! :eek: [​IMG] :eek:

2. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dig bits up and see what's under your lawn & beds - we found lots of litter, coal, glass, bricks, concrete & crocery...and the usual assorted small plastic kids toys!! I still find bits of glass now that surface in my flowerbeds!

What do you want your garden to look like, what will you use it for and how big is it? etc [​IMG]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Fireside and welcome. It would help if we knew a little about your garden, e.g. how big, what way does it face, and whats growing there now. A picture would be great.

plus as Jay says, what you want to use it for - a place to sit at peace, a place to entertain, a place for kids to run riot - that kind of thing.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, Fireside! What do you want to know? One or two questions at a time, please!! ;)

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Welcome fireside from Rugby
    [​IMG]

6. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,070
    Just remember that instant gardens only happen on TV.

7. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ....and real gardens are not as cheap as they are on TV either!
    Try sitting back & watching what comes up over the seasons - don't be in a hurry to dig it all up - you may get some pleasant surprises & an idea of what will grow well, where patterns of shade/sun are, where is soil is drier or moister + as Jay says dig up some soil to investigate & then invest in a soil testing kit. As Palustris says - instant gardens happen on TV (& they are quite often poorly put together) - I work as a garden designer & building a new one takes time, money & effort & you really have to think over what you want from it (who will use it, when & how much maintenance/gardening you want to do), only then can you begin to decide what you want to put in it. Visit some open gardens, gardening shows, look through gardening magazines & journals & don't be afraid to steal ideas. Assuming you want to do the garden yourself - do take time over it & then you can make it truly yours (but don't be afraid of calling in professionals to do major /skilled work & of course on Gardeners corner where there is a wealth of green talent!)

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Bayleaf, long time no see. Is all well with you?.