Beginners DSLR?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Aesculus, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I want to get a cheap digital SLR camera (less than £300 ) although I'm a little confused about all the makes and models. I was looking at Panasonic's latest lumix offering which has a huge zoom lens (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148748) would this be a good choice? or is there a camera which you think is better? I'm also unsure about zoom on these types of cameras as most only have about a 3x optical zoom is this better in anyway?

Also can you recommend some good reading material to get me started with photography (mostly things like plants and scenery than people:hehe:?

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The Lumix looks very, very good indeed. But I'd suggest you have a look around before you decide and part with cash. The Lumix FZ28 falls into the category of 'bridge cameras' i.e. between a compact and a full blown DSLR and is a very handy category if you don't want the hassle and expense of lugging around extra lenses.
    There's a comprehensive review of the Lumix here, and it will also show you the competitive cameras.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08072104panasonicfz28.asp