bellis pomponette - I think.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Freedom_Spark, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    My friend gave me some seeds last year which he thought were bellis poponette or some kind of daisy. They weren't very well stored so I thought they wouldn't germinate, I think they should have flowered in spring but gradually over the past month some flowers have grown and more are appearing daily. I don't know how they are supposed to look because I'm a complete beginner but I think they're absolutely beautiful!

[​IMG]

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    They are lovely FS, and look very healthy - Bellis perennis. Its really just a cultivar (ie selectively bred) variation of the common lawn daisy. They normally flower early, when not much else is about, but I still have the odd flower head even now. They should be hardy with you, so you will see them again next year.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    They should flower in Spring but in Botany there is always the exception to the rule.
    The flower should develop into a button shape or pompom as they are doubles.
    I grew them many years ago but have forgotted how attractive they are.:thumb:

4. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks PeterS & strongylodon. I'm glad you told me they would be back next year or I'd have probably thrown them away. Should I cut back the flowers when they begin to die off or should I leave them two their own devices? Is it only the two seasons I should expect them to show up? I think they're great and they're one of the first flowers I've ever grown from seed :D

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    They are perennial, so should last a number of years. But perennials generally don't last for ever - in spite of their name. They should increase in size naturally as they have short rhizomes (ie runners) that go out sideways and produce new growth. They are also easy to grow from seed.

I don't cut mine back - just laziness. But it does no harm to cut off the dead flower heads. This can extend the life of short lived perennials.

6. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the information PerterS!